Ruby made this precious bonnet at preschool! I just love it, and more importantly, so does she. Amazing the power of paper plate crafts!
So early this week while Oma was here, Ruby kept saying, "I see Popcorn!" as we'd drive. Sometimes, she'd say, "Can I have some popcorn". Oftentimes, I would think she was really asking for popcorn, then I would realize she was thinking of the primary song. So I would just agree, "Yep, there's popcorn!"
So then, we were at the park and there was a tree close by with white flowers. Ruby said, "Mom, can I have some popcorn?!" I said, "Sure," and we went over to the tree where I picked a little cluster of flowers for her. When the flowers got close to her, the excitement changed to confusion and she said (while reality was dawning on her), "That's not popcorn!"
For those who aren't familiar, there is a song the kids sing at church called "Popcorn popping on the apricot tree" that is about seeing the flowers on the tree and making a pretend popcorn ball out of them. Of course I explained that it is just a song and that it just looks like popcorn, but it is really flowers. We've been focusing on the part of the song that goes, "IT WASN'T REALLY SO, but it seemed to be...popcorn popping on the apricot tree!" She's had such fun eating things like blueberries and apples off of trees, it wasn't so far reached in her mind that there could really be popcorn growing on trees. I guess she was holding out for the white buds because we've been surrounded by pink flowering trees for weeks, and she's never said any thing about popcorn until the white flowers came on.
So then, we were at the park and there was a tree close by with white flowers. Ruby said, "Mom, can I have some popcorn?!" I said, "Sure," and we went over to the tree where I picked a little cluster of flowers for her. When the flowers got close to her, the excitement changed to confusion and she said (while reality was dawning on her), "That's not popcorn!"
For those who aren't familiar, there is a song the kids sing at church called "Popcorn popping on the apricot tree" that is about seeing the flowers on the tree and making a pretend popcorn ball out of them. Of course I explained that it is just a song and that it just looks like popcorn, but it is really flowers. We've been focusing on the part of the song that goes, "IT WASN'T REALLY SO, but it seemed to be...popcorn popping on the apricot tree!" She's had such fun eating things like blueberries and apples off of trees, it wasn't so far reached in her mind that there could really be popcorn growing on trees. I guess she was holding out for the white buds because we've been surrounded by pink flowering trees for weeks, and she's never said any thing about popcorn until the white flowers came on.
No comments:
Post a Comment