Ruby is a little businesswoman. Sad for her that she's only 7, and the only place for her to set up shop is in her bedroom where there's not much foot traffic. She comes up with "a work" and she trains Alice and dictates a pretty rigorous schedule of "work", and then I will go up to her room to patronize her business and if I act at all like we are pretending, she's super disillusioned and reminds me that this is real work, not pretend. Hmmmmmm. Very confusing for me.
She wanted to sell her toys, so we did that. Then she wanted to sell baked goods, so we did that. The next idea was to sing for money on the street in front of our house. I just laughed. So now she wants to clean other people's houses. I told her to start at home, because it is illegal for a girl her age to clean other people's houses for money.
"People we know," she said.
She has started a hair salon in her room (I was definitely excited about lots of hair brushing), a vet clinic, a restaurant, etc. Her complaint is that she's "at work" waiting for her "real customers" and lo and behold...no one comes with their real animals to the 7 year old, self-taught veterinarian! I had to call my friend down the street once and give her five dollars to go buy every toy Ruby had for sale, because she was set up with no advertising, no signs and no customers...not to mention only a handful of really undesirable toys for sale. So I think we'll start the process of opening a new business together this summer and continue on into the school year. You know, write a plan, set some goals, make an investment, determine a target client and sell something.
She made two books today to sell to Alice. One about princesses and one about Mickey Mouse...she hates both of those things, but she was smart enough to know that in order to sell something, she'd have to target a buyer.
So...any bright ideas? She could make something and sell it...soap was suggested. Please comment with your ideas!
3 comments:
How about knit beanies?
Oh my gosh, I am dying. This must be a Pierce thing, because Porter does the same thing. And I agree, it can be very confusing! :) She is so dang smart.
My suggestion- make the girl happy by sending her to 527 Huntington Hills Drive, where she will be hired to clean house (she knows these people), hire a co-owner for her business (I know a very willing young man), and anything else her bright mind would come up with! :) Sound good?!
Wow, she really is a little businesswoman. My kids will start something like this but then be disinterested as fast as it all came about.
I agree with the knit beenies. She did a really good job with that first one. And it's quite trendy right now. I'd buy one or three from her for my kids.
Post a Comment