Sunday, June 3, 2012

Alaska Cruise...

I got to get away with my man for our ten year anniversary (and my birthday, as long as the anniversary was six months ago and we left on the trip two days after my birthday). We went to Alaska, the Inner Passage, our ports were Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. When Chris presented this idea I was not that enthusiastic because after all, we already living in cold, rainy and green all year and in May of all months, I want an escape to somewhere tropical! I knew we would love getting away together and the trip was planned with some good friends Aaron and Lori Stafford which was great...I just wasn't sure I wanted to visit Alaska over Mexico or Costa Rica or somewhere...outside the cold and rainy part of the world.

WE HAD A GREAT TIME and we HAD GREAT, SUNNY weather!

Here we are on formal night one of the nights on the boat. I get the tradition of formality on a cruise, but preferred on the Carnival cruise never having to do the formal thing. Many people did do it, but we didn't and we were still allowed to eat. This was a more formal feel for sure and it was maybe a little bit fun, but a lot of hassle. From left to right: chris, me, Lori Stafford, Aaron Stafford, Rebeckah and Mike Schneider.
I loved Ketchikan. It was our first port and we went ziplining there. It was such a good experience, but no pics to really show for the ziplining part...

Chris did some rock climbing after our zipping experience. The ziplinging was impressive. We probably went on like 8-12 different zips and we went really fast on some, over the water on one, and just all through this beautiful, forrested lot.

 Chris and I found "our place on the boat. It was looking over the indoor pool area (the pools on this boat were soooooo big and warm and there were MANY of them...so much more what you envision than our Carnival boat. Anyway, we would sit on these chaise lounge chairs for hours relaxing. Chris would read Dave Barry and I was knitting for a special little baby boy. I also slept and watched the scenery and made friends with a few nice people. It was so nice relaxing!!! 
 
Chris didn't want his picture taken...but I got him!  
 
Here we are in Juneau, our second port. We arrived and there was a lot of low fog and we were thinking it would probably rain, but we didn't have any rain on our whale watching tour or at the Mendenhal Glacier...it started to sprinkle as we were leaving the glacier en route to the boat. We saw lots of whales, it was fun and you always wish you could get a little closer. 
 
 
 
The Mendenhal Glacier was beautiful and quiet and just something I'd never seen in person before.  
Between Juneau and Skagway we had a lot of amazing scenery as we cruised through the Tracy Arm Fjord, a narrow interior passageway. I didn't take any pictures, but we sat by the windows in the dining room for quite awhile watching the waterfalls and chunks of glacier ice and eagles and seals swimming by. These were taken with Chris' iphone through the window. :)
Skagway was our final destination. We had gorgeous, sunny, short sleeved weather and the place was just breathtaking. During the cruise I kept thinking about how familiar much of the beauty was being from the northwest. Of course we don't have all that uninhabited space or the mountains that are on top of you covered in snow or the ice floating around...there was lots for our eyes to appreciate...but imagine an Alaska cruise if you were from Arizona or something. Every green tree would be a shock to your system. We floated the Taiya river while we were there, it was sunny and warm and relaxing and beautiful. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We had a great sunset the evening we pulled out of Skagway.  
We had another day at sea full of relaxing and an outdoor movie and I slept in until after noon that day (we didn't have a window in our room...I don't know how it is possible that I slept that much, but I did).  
Our last port was Victoria, BC. We got off the boat and it was sunny and warm, but cooling off...we didn't get to the port until 7pm. We took a nice bus tour of Victoria and then I was freezing and craving a hot tub and so Chris and I went back to the boat. Victoria is a lovely city, we had taken the same bus tour a year ago, but enjoyed being on the bus and seeing it all again.  
Chris let me put a bright big kiss on his neck. I guess the humiliation was worth getting the extra attention from me? I don't know, but he was sporting that kiss all night.  
 
We were ready to come home by the end of the trip. We had thoroughly gotten away from "it all" and we still haven't quite come down from it. I still feel rejuvenated and more patient and appreciative of my daily role as a SAHM. As we were walking back to the ship in Victoria, I told Chris that even though we probably should not have gone on such a nice vacation and we really might not be able to afford to do it again for another five years...it's just so worth it, we need to do it even if we are broke for a few months leading up to it and a few months after. It's just kind of essential.

We are so indebted to my parents for having the kids the entire time. They were so well taken care of and although they were thrilled to see us (especially Betsey who kept saying "mommy on boat?" "daddy all gone?" while we were away), there were tears and pleadings not to take them home once it was time to leave Oma and Opa's house. That says it all...THANK YOU!! 

No comments: