Monday, June 18, 2007

Rubyisms

Here she is in her "Little Bo Peep" costume for he ballet recital this Saturday.



Ruby is full of all kinds of interesting thoughts lately. I find myself making a concious effort to engage her in conversations at times when I might otherwise busy myself with something else.

So in the car the other day...we were going to the dentist just she and I and she said, "Mamma, when we get back from the dentist, will you cut my hair?"

Usually she wants LONG hair, so when brushing her hair is a struggle, I usually point out to her that we could just cut her hair and then she woudln't have the same tangles...a choice she is certain she doesn't want.

I was curious, so I said, "Maybe Ruby, but how do you want it to look?"

She said, "Remember my old babysitter Kelsey? She has BEAUTIFUL hair and it is short and I want my hair like hers."

Now, Kelsey does have lovely hair, but she also has the skill to blow dry it AND she has three times as much hair. I know from experience that Ruby often has an unrealistic vision of how her hair should look, and she certainly can't acheive Kelsey's look at her age. So I said, "That would be nice, let's talk about it more when we get home."

After a thirty second pause she said, "I don't want hair like Kelsey's, I want Ruby hair."

"That's a good idea!," I said.

Then the next day, I was removing some wallpaper in the master bathroom and she was helping. She said, "Does Jesus have children?"

I said, "We think he probably had children but there isn't mention of that in the scriptures."

Then she said in a really excited little voice, "But God has children! I know all about that because WE'RE His children!"

These little moments are so precious. I love seeing her mind work at piecing together all the things she is learning.

No comments: