Chris has always and still does live to tease. It's not one of my favorite qualities to be honest, because I usually feel like I am having my emotions manipulated senselessly for his entertainment, which I don't appreciate. At least he has Ruby and Alice now to share the teasing focus, and they are more willing to roll with it than I am, so they are more often the targets by now.
Anyway, on April Fools, we were sitting around the table just me and the girls talking about something we could do to fool Chris, when he got home. He said he had a big surprise for the girls and to meet him in the backyard. I even told the girls it was probably a joke, but somehow all reason flew out of my mind when he entered the backyard with a cardboard box in his arms.
He said, "This is going to make you girls really happy and mom really mad." Then he said, slowly opening the box, "This showed up at our door at work today and I spent the day with it and fell in love and had to bring it home."
Enter a cute kitten.
Pretty much my kids' dream second only to the presentation of a horse.
They were thrilled. Ruby even cried tears of joy. Honestly, she did. They were so, so, so happy.
Chris had planned to stretch out the happiness but when he saw the tears, he thought better of it and said, "Those tears of joy are about to turn into real tears when I tell you April Fools." Wretched!
I was hook, line and sinker sitting there this whole time thinking about how dead he was. I don't ever want another cat, ever...EVER. I wasn't about to be the bad guy though, the damage was done. I was envisioning going to a car dealership the next day and buying a new car without consulting Chris. I thought, "this is a huge game changer!" I was stunned. Honestly. I just kept thinking about the baby coming and litter boxes and how many family members and friends are allergic to cats, etc. I was so not on board. It was awful.
More awful was the revelation that Chris has no boundaries when it comes to teasing. I NEVER thought it was a joke, because it wasn't even a little bit funny! It was downright nasty and the girls were horrified when he told them the truth. Usually they are quick forgivers, but in this case, he was like, "I'll take you to B&R for ice cream to make it up to you." They were like, "I'll stay home." I told them, "Stay home and have the ice cream from our freezer, so you don't have to go anywhere with him!" We were all on the same anti-dad's-joke team for sure!



No comments:
Post a Comment