Friday, April 11, 2008

Is it right for me?



So Chris uses Old Spice (no, gracias) deodarant for old men (in my opinion). I am always buying him other options, but this is his preference. So the other day, he came home from his favorite place, Walmart, with some hair and body wash combo by Old spice. GAG! I immediately had to tease him because he doesn't really have hair, and to my knowledge, the only people who actually use on wash for both things are newborns.

More than anything, I teased him because it was OLD SPICE! Come on, Old Spice is for people over the age of 90, right?! Chris isn't on the same page here, so I told him I was going to survey my blogging friends to prove that Old Spice is not for 30 year olds. Who named the stuff after old spice anyway? According to my knowledge, spices don't get better with age. Besides, there are more appealing words that mean old...like antique, aged, worn in, well-loved or heirloom...but "old"? "Old" carries a negative meaning, am I right? Even "older" is a little softer, suggesting that something is older than another thing but not necessarily "old".

The other night, Chris was laughing at something and called me in to laugh with him. It was the above commercial for the exact Old Spice wash he bought and it was pretty much marketing the wash to all hair types and all ages, but in a really fresh way...if you watched the clip, you know what I mean.

Once upon a time, I needed new makeup and Chris was with me at the store when I was selecting my new fancies. I clearly remember him suggesting a lip color called, "Shimmering Nude" because he liked the name. There were many other funny names he found, and all I'm saying is that he wasn't picking up the colors called, "Old Herbes de Provence" or "Rotten Chutney".

Is there a double standard here? I am sold lipstick called, "Lust" (by Laura Mercier, it's bold, but great) but I am supposed to salivate when my young, strapping husband walks by leaving a trail of old tarragon, sage and cloves behind him? What's your take...only share if you are going to side with me!

11 comments:

Jeff Hamm said...

This is a pretty funny post! It's funny how you don't really think about a brand name once it's been around a while... it was funny how you described the name of this brand and broke down the explicit and implicit meanings of the words! Good stuff. I'm not really familiar with the Old Spice smell, but the name doesn't sound very appealing.

Kendra Leigh said...

Do I dare leave a comment? I actually kind of like the smell.... although I get what you're saying about the name. I never really thought about it. Make-up names on the other hand have always made me laugh! I wonder who sits around the conference table and thinks up names all day long like raspberry lust.

Mindy said...

Old Spice always makes me think of my Dad. Of course, he wore it as a young man. I love the smell, but it could just be the association for me. I don't want Tim wearing it, though - you don't want your husband smellig like your dad! They do the same thing with clothing colors. Modbe has names for colors like "naughty coal" and "blue Christmas". Tim has trouble with colors anyway, so he's like "What?!"

Biddle Family said...

ok so this post really hit home for me!!!! HAHHAHAHAHA my DAD wore old spice growing up as well and infact he still wears it.. it is funny becuase we'll be somewhere where a bunch of "OLD MEN" are and i will get a whiff of it and I think of my dad.... funny OLD MEN... so we recently went to visit him in colorado and he had old spice in the medicine cabinet... it made me think of when I was a little girl and he would splash it on his face... never really liking or not liking the smell I was just used to it. Well low & behold Scott went to WALMART a few months ago and bought himself some body wash & YEP you guessed it OLD SPICE!!!!! However not quite the same OLD SPICE my dad wore, but the funniest thing was Brooks asked Scott if we had any bar soap and Scott handed him his OLD SPICE Brooks was horrified since that is what OLD MEN wear & I don't think he used it actually now that i think about it.... Personally I don't really have too much of an opinion on it but I HATED the body wash when I was pregnant & still think its a bit too strong.
So see Scott & Chris are 2 peas in a pod...
sorry for the long post....

Biddle Family said...

seriously I love that video... I have to show Scott he'll laugh SOOOO HARD

Lyndsey said...

very very funny! So when Brian was in JR HIGH he asked for cologne (no clue how to spell!) for Christmas nad his GRANDMA gave him OLD SPICE. He said thank you and never wore it....but all husbands have to have something funny they love, or what we tease them about???

Courtney said...

Rebecca,

I 100% agree with YOU! Plus the smell of old spice makes me gag.

Rachel said...

Rebecca, you crack me up! I love this post and love the video. Chris...what's up, dude? Old Spice? Seriously? It's TOTALLY an old man product. I think there must be some sort of hypnotic drug in the product because, seriously, how can a product with such a HORRIBLE name be doing so well. I am not sure who the Marketing genius was, but I think we all know at least one OLD man who wears the stuff. Heck, I think my Grandpa even wore it. It's been around for years. You won't find "Rotten Chutney" lipstick lasting 70 years.
I think the survey is clear....Chris, it's time to go back to Walmart and see what else they have, buddy.

The Merwin Family said...

Chris and I couldn't stop laughing at this! Your writing was hysterical, the video was great too. Good post Rebecca!

jayne said...

Shawn wears the exact same deodorant. Everytime I buy it for him I think the same thing you do---maybe they should just do away with the name altogether just to please the ladies.

Shila said...

That was hilarious! So funny, Shane has old spice deodorant, it isn't the original scent and that I am glad of. It is fun to read your blog and see your beautiful girls! I also love your photography, and we need to get our pics taken as a family. Do you have a price sheet?