Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Quilting me...

So maybe you've noticed that I haven't been my usual blogging self. That is because I have decided I MUST get Ruby's quilt done. It has been awhile, but here are some pictures of the basting stage. I hate this part. Sommer and Mimi are also making quilts, so they joined me for a late night of quilting. It was long and frusterating, as my machine wouldn't cooperate once I started quilting, but at least I'm done cutting and piecing! I have had the project permanently out in my family room/kitchen so that I can work on it more frequently.


Here's Ruby's quilt (with dark basting stitches on it). I like it fine. Of course there are many things I would change about it. I might have allowed for a double sashing, and I would have avoided the bold reds because they are too bold for the color scheme. I also would have done an entirely different pattern, but the fabric was close to sold out when I finally got around to ordering it and I had to use 5" charm packs for all the squares. I don't want to write down all the saga of what it took to get to this stage, how many times I changed my plan and how much fabric I cut that I didn't use, because I'm hoping I'll forget those things with time. Anyway, regardless, it feels like an accomplishement to see something that I made that will be a PERMANENT fixture in Ruby's room for the REST OF HER LIFE! :) The collection I used was "Celebrate Spring" by Sandy Gervais.
I feel like I am living vicariously through Sommer's quilt. I have been in love with this collection for so long. When she was getting close to finding out what she was going to have, I showed it to her and she loved it too! When she found out she was having a boy, she ran with the collection and created this pattern on her own and chose which of the many different fabrics to use. She is really making the most darling nursery out of it all, with really great original sock monkies and neat art by a local artist and all the beautiful touches a nursery should have. I'm so excited to see it when it's all done and to meet her little one in a few weeks! I think she found almost the entire collection at Christa's Quilts online, and she was really satisfied with their service.
Mimi and I walked into Pacific Fabrics to see what we could find for her baby girl, and the very first thing she saw was THE ONE. Is it any wonder why? The color in these pics is horrendous, but you can see how great her choice was. It looks so pretty! See more info on this collection here.

4 comments:

The Merwin Family said...

Wow-very impressive. All of them are amazing! Each one is unique and adorable. Great job! I haven't quilted in a while and this makes me miss it! Good job to the three of you!

Kendra Leigh said...

I really love the *bold* red. I know you think it doesn't go, but I love the punch it gives. Of course, I just adore a good red, so it's right up my alley. I'm so glad to see some of your quilting work!

just jen said...

you and your friends are very talented...great work!

Laura said...

If there was even one sewing bone in my body I would be inspired by each of your quilts! I love the red, and the monkey fabric is about the cutest I've ever seen.