The year before, I did a homemade Christmas inspired by my sister-in-law Pam, who is so good at being creative and delivering big love with her homemade gifts. I had so much fun thinking about the people I was making things for, and I knew that my kids were excited to watch the homemade gifts come to life as I made them.
In spite of the economy and feeling like we need to be saving more and preparing for financially tighter times, I am looking forward to spoiling my loved ones with my time and creativity for an affordable, memorable Christmas. Ruby and I have been talking about what we want to do, and we have found some really great ideas online. I don't want to share what we are doing, because my loved ones would have a spoiler as to their Christmas surprises, but here are some things that my sister-in-law has done for us in the past that we loved...
This bag is a free pattern from Joann.com. Pam made it in fun girly colors and I even carry it occasionally...it is SUPER cute, and we use it all the time. I think this would be easily appreciated by a large span of ages.
This pillow can be made from leftover fabrics (I have three cabinets full, and I'm willing to donate). Pam made one for Ruby using fabrics that matched her room colors. She made hers into a circle and put a white eyelt ruffle around the edge.
Last year she made this "Memory Lane" game for our family using family trivia. She even emailed me some questions so that she could use trivia from my side of the family! What a great idea, and no sewing required!
Pam has also made me a lovely collage of pictures using Photoshop and all my favorite pics of my little one, Ruby when she was a newborn. With a little text and a nice mat that she cut herself (not everyone can do that) it was an easy thing to mail and it meant a lot to me. I got a frame for it and hung it on the wall next to Ruby's blessing dress in our upstairs hallway.I was in the hall at church and they were doing sign ups for an annual craft day for the women, and there were the most darling homemade cards that only cost $1.50 for a dozen. I think handmade cards are a rare thing to have on hand, and such a great, affordable, shipping friendly gift. One year, I made hairbows for my neices. It may only have cost me $2 to make three bows, and bows are expensive if you buy them!
Can I just say that Joann.com is the best resource for free patterns that I have found?! You can search for all craft types, paper, knitting, sewing, no-sewing, holiday, wood, painting...there are so many options!
I am amazed at what a little Modge Podge can do to liven up an old item. I've seen some awesome things that people have made by covering an item with scrapbook paper and modge podge...it could even be something you found at goodwill, or you have in a closet in your house, cover it in darling tissue paper, and voila!
It could be the tastiest cookie mix in a jar or a $3 frame from Walmart with a priceless picture inside to remind a loved one of a memory that will last forever.
I love Christmas! I love giving gifts to others and teaching my children about hope, love and how special it is to remember our loved ones at this time of year.
7 comments:
that is such a great idea, i just wish i had the know how. my mom is such a great seamstress and i can't even thread the bobbin...
Ooooh - that purse is cool. Maybe I'll make it for Jessica. I, too, am going for more of the handmade, homemade route and it is fun thinking of things for everyone. Any ideas for a 14 year old boy, besides a blanket????
That memory trivia is awesome! Will you email me the details... I really want to do this for ALL the Stimmel's. SHHHH! Don't tell! Also - you made wood signs a while back (saw it at your moms) I want to do that also... Can you give me some tips and where you got the vinyl printed?
I LOVE CHRISTMAS! IT MAKES BE GLEEFUL! I'm as poor as they possibly come this year but I am so excited to get creative and make things! Thats for the awesome ideas!!!
Umm. ha. ha. THANKS for the awesome ideas!
I LOVE Christmas too! Thanks for the great ideas. I've been wondering what to do for Christmas and making some gifts sounds like a great plan!
Most of my Christmas is taken care of as I like to get 'er done nice and early. I would love to know how to do that trivia game. Sounds super cool and would be a great gift for someone I know.
I have recently found the joy of Modge Podge and have really had fun with it this year! Most of my gifts to family this year have involved modge podge!
Make sure you share on your blog what you made after "it's safe"!
Wow thanks Rebecca! :) You're too nice. I loved the purse especially. This year I had some big ideas - but I haven't finished the skirt I was making for Zoe earlier this summer & I'm thinking she is going to outgrow it if I don't hurry! So homemade presents this year... looking doubtful at this point. We love the hair bows you made a couple of years ago! Mattie still wears hers all the time. Thanks!
Post a Comment