When Ruby suggested we ask $5 for her stuffed dog, I decided I better help with pricing. The precious keepsake was appropriately priced at $0.25 instead. The nicest thing that they sold was a Snow White barbie with her clothes actually on. She went for $1. After letting them know that more preparation needs to go into a garage sale, and that it was really likely that no one was going to come, Ruby said, "At least we were triers, mom!"
Keep in mind, it was really cold out. They could see their breath. I didn't really want to sit out there with them, so I had to sit in the entryway on the stairs watching them from the windows by the front door. It was fun!
From my view, I could see them standing up and hollering, "Kids Garage Sale" at passers by. No one stopped. They were baffled. They'd run in and say, "Mom, there were three kids in that car, and they saw us, but they didn't stop!" I couldn't take it anymore, they had been at this for like two hours (the whole process...including the inside stuff).
I called a friend who lives close by and she brought her sweet daughter who sometimes babysits for us. I gave her $5 and told her to shut them down, she had to want EVERYTHING. Then she could take it to Goodwill or whatever. So she gave the girls my money and she took seriously expressing her excitement over each item. Then she (like an angel) helped them carry the table, cash registers and chairs back into the house. With all the lemonade stands and now this garage sale, I've officially shelled out money 100% of the time so my kids could have the fun. I guess as long as they don't know, it's a pretty affordable, good time.
1 comment:
You are such an awesome mother!! I love it!
Post a Comment