I recently read Jodi Picoult's novel, "My Sister's Keeper", it is a really good read! The premise is that a young couple with two young children finds out that their 2 year old daughter has acute leukemia. They decide to genetically create the perfect embryo, 9 months later, a child to be a donor match in order to help save their sick child live longer. So the book begins with the donor daughter (now 11 years old) seeking medical emancipation from her parents so she doesn't have to undergo the next procedure, a kidney transplant. (This is all in the first two or three chapters, so I'm not giving the book away at all.)
Anyway, the book really tugs at your heart strings, especially if you are a parent. I could relate on some levels with all sides of the conflict, and I cried several times as the author described the anguish of having a daughter facing such intense medical procedures.
I had just finished the book when I visited Mimi at Children's Hospital. I parked on the wrong floor, so we didn't go directly to the NICU. We were in this hallway, and this darling little girl came vrooming down the hall on a red scooter. She was beaming and I thought briefly of my Ruby when I first looked at her. I quickly noticed a man following her, who I believe was her father. He was carrying some a metal stand with tubes that led under the little girl's dress.
It was just a moment, maybe fifteen seconds as our paths crossed, but I can't get it out of my mind. I just brace myself for any similar experience and count my blessings that thus far, we have been so blessed with health...not just for the four of us, but for the most part, even our extended family.
1 comment:
I've been dying to hear what you thought about that book! Did you enjoy it?!?
Post a Comment