Sunday, December 7, 2008

Flaky or lucky?


Great. This is going to be the second post in a row where I show how scatterbrained I can be.

So R had her first formal recital for piano. It was the Christmas recital and she was all set to go with her newly learned songs, including "Jingle Bells" for Christmas. All her other recitals have been with just her class at her teacher's house, but this was at a local church and with all the students Mrs. S teaches. Big deal. Ruby was excited, and I knew given her personality that she'd perform with flair and she'd introduce herself loud enough for everyone to hear, and she was going to just love it. My mom drove down for it and everything.

On our drive there, I was frantically calling 411 looking for some local church with the word "Trinity" in it and not having a lot of luck. We were literally going to arrive just in time, and I was thinking about how I wish I were one of those people who always arrived with 30 minutes to spare everywhere they went. If only. I figured walking in at 7PM we'd be the last ones there, but in good time to enjoy the show.

When we walked in at ten to 7 (thanks to 411 and a good nav), I could hear the piano was being played. My friend Julie saw my frantic face and I mouthed, "did it start at 6:30?" and she said, "No, it started at 6:00"! WE WERE AN HOUR LATE! She told me that we had just missed Ruby's spot by a few minutes. I knew we'd still get her up there, but I was embarrassed that people had been doing the whole, "Ruby?! Where's Ruby? Ruby's not here" thing. So after three or four little piano minutes by other children, it was announced "Ruby is here now" and she went up for her two minutes of glory (and it is glorious when it is your child, let me tell you).

So...after being there for ten minutes, it was over. We wished happy holidays to our friends and Mrs. S ate some quick break and we were out the door! I'm going to have to say that I didn't so much mind missing the rest of it. Next time, I'll just advise Mrs. S to put Ruby dead last, and we'll plan to be 45 minutes late instead of 50. He, he.

P.S. I was determined to post my first video, so I didn't get pics of her playing. I took video and hassled with it forever and got NOWHERE. I hate that!

5 comments:

just jen said...

i say flashy...

i know how you are...;)

try and get that video to work again...i love seeing little kids play the piano, i think it is so amazing.

Alicia said...

I have the same problem with videos. So frustrating!

Sariah said...

AAAAAHHHH, I can't believe it! I'm glad R was able to play and hey, bonus that you didn't have to sit through the others!! Blessing in disguise maybe?

Sariah said...

What problems are you having with the video? Maybe I can help, I post too much video.

jessi said...

That actually worked out for you not to have to go to the whole thing. You know that all of the parents were jealous of you for not having to sit through the whole thing like they had to!