My friend Sommer has a friend who has a sister (you still with me?) who works at the casino where Jewel was playing, and she was able to snag five free seats...and I was lucky enough to be one of those to sit in one of them. I would have paid in a heart beat, but better yet to get them for free! I didn't know until the last minute that she was coming and I was so glad that there wasn't anything planned that I couldn't get out of.
The show was AMAZING. Honestly, I feel like I was almost tense the entire three hours (just shy...that's right, almost three hours) she played, I was so into it. She told really great stories, many that had to do with the inspiration for her lyrics and it was the first time in ten years that she'd played on stage just her and a guitar. What a treat. She doesn't plan a set or anything, so it was very off the cuff and natural feeling.
She played a few amazing songs that she hadn't ever performed before...that I'm hoping will be on a new album at some point. She messed up the lyrics on "You Were Meant For Me" and had to start over again. Every song was a new version and kept it interesting.
The venue was really small, like a hotel banquet room size, 21 rows is all. It was so intimate that she opened up for Q & A at one point, as well as requests from the audience. I wish she hadn't gotten injured on Dancing With the Stars, because I want more Jewel!
When Chris and I saw Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young on stage a few years ago I was in awe as the only sounds coming from the stage were from them and their instruments. The talent was so raw, and amazing, and Jewel was that. She is just a true musician and it is no wonder that she was discovered just by playing her music in a coffee shop in So Cal. It was a night to remember for sure and I will never pass up another chance to see her.
Here's an excerpt from my favorite Jewel Song, "Life Uncommon" from her album titled, "Spirit".
"Lend your voices only to sounds of freedom
No longer lend your strength to that which you wish to be free from
Fill your lives with love and bravery
and you shall lead
a life uncommon..."
Though this isn't my favorite song of hers, it is lyrically one of the most poignant. I loved the story she told behind the lyrics. She said that when she was living out of her car, she started shop lifting a little. She said it started with carrots. She really wanted some carrots, decided she deserved them and so they were hers. She said, a few days later, she saw this darling sun dress that was $35. She didn't have the money, but she was holding it in her hands contemplating taking it when she suddenly became disgusted with herself. She thought, when did I become so useless and meaningless that I would put my own value below a $35 dress!? She thought, this is my life, and my hands and my future and my integrity and nothing that anyone does to me and nothing that happens to me can ever be worth forgetting my own value and worth. Anyway, so she wrote the following song (which was a big hit and I know you all know it, but the words are still worth reading),
"Hands"
If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all OK
and not to worry 'cause worry is wasteful
and useless in times like these
I won't be made useless
I won't be idle with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
For light does the darkness most fear
My hands are small, I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
and I am never broken
Poverty stole your golden shoes
But it didn't steal your laughter
and heart ache came to visit me
But I knew it wasn't ever after
We'll fight, not out of spite
For someone must stand up for what's right
'Cause where there's a man who has no voice
There ours shall go singing
My hands are small I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
and I am never broken
In the end only kindness matters
In the end only kindness matters
I will get down on my knees, and I will pray
I will get down on my knees, and I will pray
I will get down on my knees, and I will pray
My hands are small I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
and I am never broken
We are never broken
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's mind
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's heart
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's eyes
We are God's hands
We are God's hands
THANKS Rachel and Sommer for the great night!
3 comments:
I'm so jealous! What a concert to go to!! I was so excited for her to be on dancing with the stars, and very bummed that she had to duck out. Hope life is going great for you guys!! Things are good on this end!
STILL jealous!! I still think you should of asked... "if you were an animal what would you be?"
could you imagine? next time!
Lucky for you Sis! That's awesome, you've always raved about her over the years (for good reason), it's great that you got to see her in person!
Post a Comment