Saturday, September 7, 2013

Playing Pretend...

One of my favorite things about being a mom is witnessing pretend play. It is so fun when around 2.5 or so they start getting really into it and I have to say, it is still cute, though a little surprising when you witness it thrown your almost eleven year old. 

Yesterday, my kids blew up about a dozen balloons. First thy were just batting them around, blowing some big and some small. Then they took sharpies and wrote names on them and they became their children. Next, Ruby borrowed my cell phone and ran upstairs to call Alice on the home phone so they could arrange for their like aged children to have a play date together. It was pretty cute to overhear, they were giddy with this plan. You have to chill and play it cool as a mom at this point or they will get self conscious and stop playing openly around you. Me: totally disinterested while pretty much stopping all else to listen in. Later, I found this schedule for play dates. 
So I was communicating with some of my homeschool friends on Facebook about doing a lake day this week since the weather is supposed to be super nice again. Ruby read over my shoulder, "we are going to lake wilderness?!?!?" So excited. She loves it there. I said, "yes." Then she said, "when?" I said, "Thursday morning." She said, super worried and disappointed, "Alice and I can't because our balloons have a play date Thursday!" I have to continue to keep it cool. Take it seriously. "Oh, well could they meet at make wilderness?" Ruby, "mom, we have like seven balloon children." Me: "you're right, we can't take them to the beach, they would blow away. I guess reschedule?"
This is "Angry Bird." The others have names like, Jenny, Kate, Emily...and Hailey and Emma too.

No comments: