Friday, December 14, 2007

Swallowing pills

My Ruby is only five and she swallows pills now with no hesitation! I am so impressed! Maybe this is normal, but I was extremely abnormal in that case. In order to get the pill down, I would stand with my mouth open and say "ahhhhh" and my dad would have to throw the pill way back in my throat for me to swallow it down. I can't tell you how many times it almost obstructed my breathing OR wasn't back far enough so I had to spit it out and tell him to try again.

When I was maybe 14, I was on some medicine, probably for acne or lying or something. I wanted to go to Medford with my aunt and uncle and my dad said that I couldn't go unless I learned to take my pills on my own. Of course, as is usually true anytime a parent finally puts their foot down, I was capable to do it on my own. However, I still couldn't just put it casually in my mouth and swallow it down, I had to imitate the same throwing motion that my dad used and it usually took several attempts.

6 comments:

Jeff Hamm said...

Is this vicadin or just regular old Tylenol PM we're talking about? I mean I know Ruby is a wild one but seriously, does she really need to be drugged? I totally remember the pill throwing and the relief at success (from you and Dad) or the hideous gagging sound that was the result of an inaccurate pass. Good to see Ruby can really pop the pills!

The Hamm Bunch said...

I was totally the same way. The first time I took a pill I literally choked and have been paranoid ever since. I can do it, but hate it. Oh by the way, we got the game as a gift, but I think she found it at Fred Meyers.

kaitlin said...

ya i was definitely like 15 when i learned how to swallow pills. before that i had to have my dad crush it and put in a spoonfull of jam. ruby is so good!

jayne said...

You and Lyndsey are VERY similar! I remember a similar activity at our house. I think she might have been 20 before she didn't have to crush it up with a spoon anymore.

Lyndsey said...

Okay so i was in collage when I stopped crushing it with a spoon, now I can nicely swallow with lots of water and food.....if anywhere on my mouth feels it for very long I just gag! I know I know this is not normal for 30 year olds, i mean 25 year olds! I am very impressed with Ruby. But maybe I should be concerned....kids start drugs very early now a days and I know you like the herbs!

Lyndsey said...

Okay so i was in collage when I stopped crushing it with a spoon, now I can nicely swallow with lots of water and food.....if anywhere on my mouth feels it for very long I just gag! I know I know this is not normal for 30 year olds, i mean 25 year olds! I am very impressed with Ruby. But maybe I should be concerned....kids start drugs very early now a days and I know you like the herbs!