Sunday, December 2, 2007

Parents of Daughters UNITE!

My five year and two day old daughter is in love. I know it because I was in love at her age and I can tell. She has fallen for our close friends' adorable son, Wyatt. While my childhood love bloomed for like twenty years and never amounted to anything more than friendship, this obvious twitterpation by my little Ruby has me freaked out.

Though Ruby did kiss Wyatt twice in the presence of both myself, Chris and Wyatt's mom, we first realized that she was having fond thoughts of Wyatt over Thanksgiving break. During pretend storytime, a part of the bedtime ritual, Ruby requested a story about Ruby and Wyatt falling in love and getting married. As Chris' storytelling subtly guided the tale around the romance, Ruby would redirect him back to the forever after.
So Wyatt came down on Saturday for Ruby's birthday party and he and his family came over for a little while afterward. They were having a nice time playing together, and then Wyatt came downstairs for a bit. Ruby proceeded to get undressed down to her panties and confidently walk her bare bod downstairs. Right in front of eight adults, she walked over to Wyatt (in baggy Dora panties, oooohh laa laa) and smirked and said, "What?"

He didn't really respond, I mean he's not pouring over stories of true love's kiss on a daily basis, not to mention that there hasn't really been much of an awareness of modesty or gender between them. If they are cold in their swimsuits, they just take them off. He really didn't think anything of her walking around in her panties.

She asked, again, "What?"

I was baffled, but I managed to say, "Ruby, when we have guests at our house, we need to wear a shirt and something on the bottom, please go get dressed." We've had that conversation before, so it wasn't anything new to her and she went on her way upstairs.

THANK GOODNESS she didn't pull some swanky pose or something or I'd be more baffled.

If you are thinking to yourself, "A five year old can't be in love," you are wrong. I swear they can. Do I think that her crush will last? Probably not. Wyatt lives 40 minutes away. Maybe it will just be that "interesting boy that you see when your parents get together" fascination...the boy you can claim has a crush on you when no one else seems to. Those are really handy.

Anyway, HELP!Back when they were young enough to give kisses goodbye!Fingerpainting fun!
Caught white handed with diaper cream beards.

Her first pick for a friend to go get a bithday treat with.

Batman and Ballerina

5 comments:

jayne said...

I remember your said crush. You and Lynz both had it bad. Good taste though, he was adorable. Looks like daughter follows after mother. Lucky lucky you!

Amanda said...

Oh I remember my childhood crush! How fun! I cant wait to see you guys! The girls look so beautiful in their Santa Pictures!

Jeff Hamm said...

Big surprise?! I wonder where she gets it? Should be funny to follow. What kind of stories does Chris tell if Ruby undresses and comes down in her panties? :^) EGADS!

Rachel said...

I love it. Ethan is in love with a new girl every month. His latest crush has lastest about two months now and he is very concerned about her not being a member of the church because he wants to be with her FOREVER! Cute, huh. I love puppy love. Enjoy it while it's innocent & cute.

kaitlin said...

haha how darling.