I love this picture of my mom. I don't know why exactly, I think because I know she probably felt a little silly having it taken, but she liked it too because it was my dad's idea. She just looks a little child-like in the picture, and though she's anything but childish, she's young at heart, and I love that about her. I wish I could have been there to celebrate her birthday with her at the Cheesecake Factory. She's my best friend. My greatest example, supporter, and fan. I love her. I love that she gets excited about teaching young people every morning at 6AM, I love that she spends 600% longer preparing her lessons than she does teaching them. I love that she is challenging herself at this new empty-nesting stage of her life, that she's reading the Twilight series, that she water skis like a champ and downhill skis with the best of them. I love that she can laugh and laugh and that there's a noticeable difference between what she laughs at at 9PM and 11PM. I love that she doesn't really like animals, but she still took pity on the pets she let us have (many, many of them). I love that she loves good music but doesn't know who makes it or sings it or writes it, so she mostly listens to the Mormon Tabernacle choir (also good music). I love that she has the perfect house for entertaining grand kids...the garden with berries to pick, the slip 'n' slide in the backyard and three furnished bedrooms with fresh pillow cases on fluffy pillows waiting for our heads to rest on them. I love that if she knows something is healthy, she also believes that it tastes great. I love that she has no better chance of staying awake for a movie than I do, that she knows what it is like to take a cat nap at a traffic light and that she's always on standby when I get in the car for more than an hour drive, to provide me with that invigorating conversation that will keep me alive until I reach my destination. I love that she never makes me feel like I'm a burden to her, even if it is five o'clock in the morning and I need her to come rescue me from the flu or a daunting day a head. I love that my husband has no complaints about her. I love that she lets me know when she doesn't like something I like. I love that she raised me on "The Carpenters" and that we had a swing hanging from the ceiling in our house growing up. I love that she loves us to have family time, that she says really long prayers and that she is always interested in new "healthy" things.I love that I'm her only daughter and that she's my only mom.
Happy Birthday to YOU, mom!
8 comments:
I could actually hear your mom's laugh in my head as I read this. She is pretty awesome. And, I really wish I was there to celebrate....Cheesecake Factory is my absolute favorite place. I hope to live close enough to one someday that I can try every single kind they make....MMMMM...
Great post sis, for a great Mommy! Thanks for putting in words some of the unique things that are great about mom!
I love that you love your mom! It made me think about my mom and all the times that she held us when we had a scraped knee, and all the times she yelled at us to close the front door durring the summer. Also for all the unsaid words and that we always knew what she meant by it. It is amazing now when I try to do the look, I hope that Alisha understands me like I understood my mom. I never wanted to dissapoint her, I still don't! Now that's a good mom!
(Mary) Rebecca this was a real treat to read! How we love and adore mom - and you! I do not know anyone who can capture the pure essence of situations and people like you. When you finally write a book someday - I want one of the first copies and I will publicize it for free - no matter the subject. We cannot wait to see you guys soon.
she looks fancy!
I love your mom too. She's awesome!
thank you for summarizing the greatest person I too know as she raised all six of us... my life would be incomplete without her in my life.
Well put Bec. I was there, and love that she loves the cheesecake factory, because I love the cheesecake factory!
Post a Comment