Monday, November 26, 2007

Safeway.com

So I tried online grocery shopping like five years ago when it was first introduced. I didn't really love it as much then as I do now due to the fact that now, I lug two kiddos around who want everything in sight and inevitably throw fits while I am trying to get in and out of the store. (They need to make free cookies really hard to eat so they last the whole trip!)

Anyway, about two months ago, my Alice really started acting up in public because she will not sit in the cart OR walk--she only wants to be held--and only on my right side to boot. Anyway, so I desperately turned to safeway.com.

I AM SOLD! I got free delivery with my first use, but I expected I'd need to tip the delivery guy. Not so! He was extremely enthusiastic and helpful and brought all my food inside and even took the 20 gallons of water to my storage in the garage...I figured he was working up to a big tip. Before I even tried to tip him, he let me know that they aren't allowed to accept tips. How great is that?!

Everything I ordered was there and all paid for. They separate out the stuff that needs to be refridgerated, so you just pop that stuff in the fridge/freezer first. It is really great.

So since the first time, I have never paid for delivery...maybe three more times. I just google "safeway free delivery" and a ton of options come up. The cool thing is that you can sit there and enter coupon codes and if they don't take, it just lets you enter another one. I entered about four today and two were valid. I got $10 off and free delivery ($9.95 value).

I have a friend who shops this way and she loves it because she plans her meals, makes her list and then sits down and buys ONLY what is on her list. No extra stuff that she doesn't need or shouldn't eat. She figures that even if she pays for delivery it still saves her money just for that reason.

Going to the grocery store at 11:00 at night and getting home at midnight and then unloading and putting everything away was such a daunting task! Now, I can shop at 11PM and go to sleep and then have someone knocking at my door in the morning with all my beautiful groceries.

One suggestion: they have a substitution thing where if you order for example "Best Foods Mayo" and they don't have it, they will substitute another brand, or another flavor or something. I didn't really think much of it, and the first order, they didn't have all the rice milk I wanted so they substituted the vanilla flavor. We don't use the vanilla flavor, so this wasn't a desirable substitution for me. From now on, I just select "no substitutions" on everything, that way, if they don't have it, I don't wind up with something that doesn't work for my family.

They are very customer service driven and I just have to rave about my experience for all you mothers out there who are tired of juggling kiddos at the grocery store!

4 comments:

jayne said...

I so wish we had a safeway in my neck of the woods! This was obviously invented by a mother of a toddler.

The Coatney's said...

Sold! I can't wait to try it. I DESPISE grocery shopping. If you want to know why just ask my two year old.

Hey, are you too busy with the holidays to do some family pictures for me? Let me know. Thanks! My g-mail is on the fritz so maybe you can leave me a message on my blog. Thanks so much!

Kendra Leigh said...

I did shopping this way for awhile (freshdirect.com). Try lugging 2 kids, a stroller & at least 5 bags full of groceries 3 blocks, up stairs etc. Not really sure why I stopped- we do have to tip our guy- and nothing ever goes on sale. Oh, and one delivery guy in the Bronx ended up assaulting one of the customers. We need a Safeway around these parts.

Sage Pierce said...

I cannot wait to try it Rebecca Thanks for the info!