So it dawned on me when my two and a half year old was running barefoot around the backyard a couple of weeks ago that she doesn't have her tetanus shot! I absolutely intended to get her all shot up for that when she started crawling, and it never happened (hence, one pat on the back for the standardized schedule)! I lost hours of sleep over this, and knew I needed to get her in.
I knew I'd do the full DTaP because since I was little and saw a special on Whopping Cough (Pertussis), I've had a wee bit of a phobia of it, and I really do worry every winter when it spreads like wildfire all over my county. The D and the P apparently don't come individual, so we did the whole shot.
I just have to say, that I drive an HOUR (if there's no traffic) to get to my Naturopath to get any vaccines. Why? BECAUSE SHE TOPICALLY ANESTHETIZES THE SITE OF THE POKE BEFORE SHE POKES! It is so simple! She sprays this stuff on them and goes about checking their overall health (she won't give a vaccine to a child who isn't well) while the stuff kicks in , and then she distracts the kid and poke, the shot is done.
Alice noticed, but didn't cry, and we were on our way with a happy kiddo within minutes.
Why don't all doctors do this? I ask myself that question for hundreds of different things that they could do, but don't ALL THE TIME! Thank goodness for Dr. Kimberly Kelly (206-361-0346), who can tell me more about what is going on with my child by phone (with the prices of gas, and my co-pay, it is cheaper) than a traditional doc can that is staring my child in the eyes. Love her for knowing that a pestery tummy ache that prevents my child from wanting to go to birthday parties and Oma's house is not "in her head", for being there for me when I'm at the ER and they are telling me they need to shoot antibiotics into my daughter's leg (yes, in fact, she did need that shot, but it was nice to have someone I trust give me the green light). Thanks Kim for helping me change my diet so that my newborn who was diagnosed with acid reflux and prescribed ZANTAC (yeah, right!) at two weeks of age could sleep easy, stop crying and give a new mama some rest.
Good doctors are heroes (and good dentists too), and I'm so grateful for our family doctor, even if she does practice in North Seattle.
2 comments:
Better late than later with regard to remembering! Glad you have a doc you can totally trust!
You gotta love those good docs. Our ped in Iowa was fabulous. She'd schedule long well visits and get down on the floor with the kids and play with them so she could better interact with them. After we moved, she eventually closed her practice because she got tired of insurance companies telling her what she could and couldn't do in her practice. What a big loss for that community.
Post a Comment