In spite of her pregnant state (35 weeks), her pending move (across the country in a couple of weeks), and the seven hour drive to McCall from where she lives in Rigby, she made time to come play with me on the beach for a week! This is what I love about her...she's like me...play first!

Who has a perfect belly like this? She does! Rarely do you hear of someone who doesn't get stretch marks!
Anyway, I never drive an hour without getting sleepy, so when at the last minute my friend Kelly couldn't make the trip with me, I decided to sleep in Pullman and see a friend who lives there. Kristin's family is so fun, and she made me a yummy meal and provided us with comfy accommodations and great late-night conversation. Thanks to she and her husband Chris for being such great fun to visit with!
We got up and continued our trek to McCall. The weather was great, Lyndsey and I have been friends long enough that we are totally at home around each other, and it was just such a great time to visit with her and see our kids interact. Max is DARLING! I love his look, he's just such a perfect little mix of all things Thomas, though since Lyndsey's husband could easily be her brother, I concede that he surely looks like the Durst side as well. He makes the cutest noises to convey what he wants...THE CUTEST...little squeeks, it can't be adequately described. He knows many signs as well, and uses them a lot too. He's just darling, and it was so fun to see Lyndsey as a mom, she's so taken with him and so patient and sweet with him. 

My kids had fun rediscovering the beach and we had flawless weather to boot. Ususally, the June visits are still cool, but we were hot in the sun and loving every minute. The water was another story. I am not a wimp when it comes to cold water. I love fresh water and I don't shy away from getting in...but this was horribly cold! The first day we were there, Ruby wanted to jump off the dock and swim in. I knew I needed to go with her because she's a good swimmer, but has no experience in chopy lake water. I jumped in first and the shock was thorough. I concealed my displeasure so as not to disuade Ruby, and she jumped in too. She was as shocked as I was, and was grasping for me and trying to climb on me to get out of the water. I had some nice many pull her out, and I swam in (well, not really swam...as soon as I could touch, I raised my arms above me so they weren't in the water anymore, and walked in as fast as I could...not fast enough). 
Ruby was in the water many times after that, but she stayed shallow because after another failed attempt with her the second day, I wasn't really interested in jumping off the deep end with her again.
Alice is still asking if we can "go to da beach". It amazed me how unaffected they were by the fact that they were COVERED in sand. Ruby would get out of the water and intentionally lay down in the sand to warm up. Smart idea if warmth is your first priority, but she had sand in her ears, her hair, all over her body...all the time. One of the first things she did in the sand was make a "sand angel" like she does in the snow. She did them all the time...I just can't stand being sandy! All three of them had to have a bath after each beach experience. We'd have them stand there while we sprayed all the sand into the tub. Then we'd wait for the sand to wash down the drain before we filled the tub with water. Even with this effort there would be a lot of sand in the tub when they were all done.
Thank goodness for McCall. The cabin has been in the family since my great-grandma Ruby and her husband bought it...a long time ago. It is perfect for our needs, and is just maybe 50 yards from the water. The two cabins next to the "Farmer cabin" (my mother's maiden name is Farmer) are also owned by family members, and it is such a fun thing to have a place that means so much to our family. I even have a cousin named McCall! I love the smell of McCall, the summers and winters in McCall, the card playing in McCall, the no technology in McCall, the shopping in McCall the milkshakes in McCall, the Creamies in McCall...I'll be back (soon), McCALL!
11 comments:
Thanks for sharing all of this. Wow-Lyndsay hasn't changed much! That sand and all of that looks so dreamy right now! How fun for your family to still have a place to go visit and to keep creating memories at! Looks like a lot of fun!
ah can't wait to get down there and play! especially when the water is just a tad bit warmer.
Glad to hear you were able to enjoy time in McCall with your BFF Lyndsey! I LOVE MCCALL! Thanks for the great pictures! I'm glad you had a great time! It makes me homesick for time at the cabin! :)
We'll see you there in a month, thanks for the more detailed update on the trip. I'm curious what that thing is in the water behind Alice in the last pic. Hopefully the water will warm up some before the reunion... it'll probably be perfect for us but frigid to Mary and Mom.
"that thing" in the picture of Alice was this massive collection of 25 foot long logs with tons of rusty nails sticking up out of them. There were like eight of them and they were connected by rope. I called the police to let them know, and they came over on jet skis to check it out. They wound up towing it behind the Sherrif's boat. I guess it floated over from somewhere. Hmmmmm.
hey there- just bought photoshop- how long have you been using this? i see you are a serious photographer now- that is great- email me- i'd love to talk shop-
who is that fatty?? You did a great job describing our trip! AFter a day of packing I REALLY miss the beach!!! It was a great get away and I am very glad we were able to get there. I miss you already! Have those girls already forgotten me??? Max was bored in the tub tonight!
That really does sound like such a wonderful getaway. I wish we had something like that.
so fun!
i also hate having sand on me. my secret trick is baby powder. we never go to the beach without it. it takes off sand really well.
Ah McCall. I'm glad to see that someone loves it as much as me. I don't think I'll be making it this year and I am just devastated. Maybe though, we'll see!
I too want to know how my sister of all people has ended up with such a perfect pregnant belly. I'm pretty much a road map to India...I'm glad you two had so much fun. Nothing like a friend you don't really have to entertain.
Post a Comment