Tuesday, May 13, 2008

6 Quirks Tag:

1. I fingerspell all the time. I can be caught randomly with my hand down by my side, fingerspelling things that are being said around me or by me. I don't know when this little habit started, but it hasn't been more than four years since my mom asked, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I don't go into full motion, I just twitch my hands slightly so that I'm satisfied that I am in fact changing for each letter and pretty much keeping up with the flow of conversation. I have tried to stop, but every time I think I have stopped, I find out that those around me still see me doing it...so what? I fingerspell!

2. I am a personal shopper. This applies to job hunting as well. If you mention to me that you are looking for a job, a house, a new pair of sandals, a deal on cereal, and I come across the right thing--I HAVE to call and tell you about it. I think I am more about wanting to be the matchmaker putting two things that fit together, because maybe they would otherwise not find each other. I'm not really sure why I am this way, but it is a huge part of my personality. I have been known to house hunt for people who hardly know me!

3. Speaking of people who hardly know me, I talk to them all the time. This is a fact that mortifies Chris. He is soooooo embarrassed when I strike up a conversation with someone about how we have the same coat, or how the cereal they are buying is on sale somewhere else. Sometimes I can overhear two people talking about something in my general vicinity and I will insert myself in their conversation. For example, if two people were discussing which movie to see that night, and I had just seen a really good movie or knew of a real bomb, I would absolutely fill them in on my opinion to steer them in the right direction. I really appreciate it when people do the same for me too! Chris literally wants the ground to swallow him up when I do this, but it doesn't reflect on him, right?

4. I love filling out forms the old fashioned way. Give me an application or survey of some kind and a pen and I'm in heaven. Opportunities for this are limited these days, and it is not the same fun if it is done on the computer.

5. I have a degree in English, but in the 7 years since graduating from college, I'm only read one novel. Something tweaked in me during those long semesters of three classes that each required one novel a week. I lost my love for a good read! I also can't stay awake long enough to get more important reading the time and attention it deserves, so there's no chance for a novel to sneak in there. It took me roughly 5 years to read that one novel, The Poisonwood Bible, so it didn't have that much impact. I read all the time for information, but my reads are more psychology based either on marriage or parenting, and lately I've been reading homeschooling books. I think I will start the Twilight series because it really bugged when the whole world was amped on Harry Potter, and I was out of the loop. I'm going to borrow the books, so I'll have to get them read fast.

6. I don't eat the last bite. In a sandwich, there will always be a part where there's no sauce, cheese or other tasties, so I just abandon that bite. Same is true for most everything, and it just never fails that there is one bite left on my plate for no apparent reason. I just don't like eating that last morsel.

I tag Heather, Amanda Hamm, Rachel Hudgins, Jayne (unless you've already done it), Jenni (have you done it already?) and ChickenSedan.

7 comments:

The Coatney's said...

I loved reading this. Fingerspelling actually sounds a little fun to me. I do wierd counting things all the time. Counting steps, tiles, windows, Capital letters, etc... I think I'm going to take up fingerspelling.

Also, personal shopper. Can you please find me some maternity jeans that will cover my wierd back fat roll and still make my butt look cute, and not at all wide.

And also, you can borrow my Twilight series. Please do so we can talk about it. Also, please borrow my Harry Potters so you're not missing out on one of lifes biggest pleasures.

The Merwin Family said...

OK-you sound like grandma to me on #3. It totally cracked me up! Poooooooorrrr Chris!

The Reynolds Family said...

LOVE the post! I was wondering what things you would put down and all of them I knew EXCEPT for the last one..I never noticed before! You are crazy girl! You just give me that last bite and I'll gladly finish it off for you! Love your quirks!

Sommer

Jeff Hamm said...

Haven't caught the finger spelling, don't know if I quite understand what you mean. I have the hardest time leaving any morsel on my plate. Thanks for sharing and for not tagging me right now... I'm sure I'll get it soon though.

just jen said...

i have done this tag already...but if i can come up with 6 more, i will do it.

i remember the inserting yourself in other peoples conversations...that was good for street contacting...

you are hilarious!

Lyndsey said...

For knowing you as well as i do, i learned a few new ones...well only the finger spelling. and the novels but we talk so seldom we never have time to talk about books. Also, if you would tell the coatney family about the "secret band" pants at motherhood. they are my FAVORITE invention!! REally they are great and comfy and the top is ugly but the rest are cute.

The Tanuvasa Family said...

Okay, WHAT THE HECK IS FINGERSPELLING? Can't wait to find out.
This post was so fun to read. I think we have even more in common than I thought. Personal Shopper? That's me. Oh, and hey, think you can find Sam a job?
I read about 4 novels a week, and beg of you to read the Twilight series, and then The Host, written by the same author, I just finished it. That may be why I am super tired today:)
I like to get brand new pens to fill applications with. Something wrong with me?
SO SO fun to read!