Thursday, May 1, 2008

Megan's wedding...


My BFF got married! It was such a fun week with my other family, the Haymond's in Texas. I don't know how it is possible to feel like you belong somewhere you've never been before, but that is how I felt when I lived with them in Argentina. I had so much fun there, and I really felt like Megan's brothers were like brothers of mine, and her MOM, Dale...don't get me started, she's one of my most favorite human beings, I wish everyone could know her. Then there's Dan, the man of the house, always generous with his fancy cooking. I feel at home when I am with them all, and I just hope that my non-family presence didn't weigh on them! I so loved meeting the boys' wives, talking it up with Megan's sister, Laura and getting to hang out with her kids. I had so much fun just being around them all! Thanks for the best hospitality and for making me feel like family all week!

Then there's SHMEG! She's my girl! As freaked as I had her over this huge commitment, I'm halfway convinced that she might not have been that thrilled to have me around! Not really, we had fun talking about all kinds of things best friends talk about the night before the big night...I just had to stay clear of anything resembling the reality of marriage or she'd get the shakes. It's funny, I realize that normal married life in all it's practicality and ups and downs doesn't disappoint, because it gradually becomes a safe place, where you can show your true colors and be loved anyway, and you can learn to love an other's true colors. However, this normal married life is not enticing to someone who is still in the oooohhh laaa laaa phase; so talking about life as it is, actually can cause trauma to the unwed. This was a constant balancing act for me all week because I didn't intend my place of comfort in my marriage to sound like a recipe for misery at all...but I found my Megan in tears at my description of life as it is! And I'm actually happy!

Megan, may you live in newlywed bliss forever! One day you'll know that wedded bliss is actually a place where you gradually settled together, where you can sit and pay the bills in a pair of old worn out pajamas while you watch meaningless reruns and talk about the baby's poop color one minute and dream of your next vacation just the two of you in the next minute...and then there's the predictable routine of life before you, that you created together and you wouldn't wish it were any other way (even though he doesn't cry when you cry anymore and even if you can't really get sad enough to cry over very many things...). It is knowing that when you get out of the car and walk infront of it, he's going to honk that horn, and you are going to jump, and act like you didn't, and he's going to laugh and laugh, like it was the first time, and you are going to pretend you are annoyed, when you aren't, and he's going to pull you close while still chuckling and tell you that you've gotta hand it to him for getting you...again. It's history in the making and it is fun and frustrating and painful and joyous and new and familiar and true and hard all at the same time.

3 comments:

just jen said...

such good pics...i bet it was s nice to attend a wedding without worrying about your girls the whole time!

Sage Pierce said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures, Rebecca!!! It was so fun to see you for a little bit on Tuesday!

The Reynolds Family said...

rebecca..holy cow.. you have MANY talents, but you can rack photography up as one of the best!! You have turned into quite the photographer! Now, you just need to start charging people for this amazing skill you have! Viu!

Sommer