So we moved into this house a year and a half ago. The house is equipped with so much storage, I just wanted to become an organized person upon entering the new place. I tried to pack in a deliberate way so that unpacking would be simpler and more organized, and I wanted to have a place for everything. I achieved this in some regards. I mean, the place where we keep the games for example is pretty organized...how often do you really mess with the games, right? However, some of the more frequently used areas have gotten out of control, and some "extra" areas that we didn't really use, gradually cluttered up with the junk of life. We had 5-7 junk drawers in our kitchen...no joke.
This is the cabinet that hangs above the desk in our kitchen. The desk has three drawers and a drawer meant to be a filing drawer, you know with hanging folders and what not...anyway, all junk. I took to the task of organizing it all on Saturday. I'm not done, (I have a laundry basket full of all the junk that is 1/2 way sorted and still needs to all be organized into a place where it belongs) but I have a good start, and some things are done.
Before...

After...
I always think it is funny when the before pictures are taken in horrible lighting with bad posture and no makeup, and then the after pictures are taken with ideal everything...I decided to keep with that idea to really drive home the drastic difference!
This is my homeschooling cabinet, and on the top shelf in those boxes are all our sick fixes. I still have room for more things, and I know where everything is, and I have one of those magazine holders filled with all the stuff that I have prepared for future homeschool, and things that we are still working on...so we just pull it down and voila...homeschool begins.
Here are the empty drawers. Now I get to actually take to the task of removing all the horrid drawer liners that the previous owner glued in. I started this project when we took possession, but as much as I hated them, I really needed to get some unpacking done, and these drawer liners take some serious time and effort...especially when there are 26 drawers to attack!
5 comments:
Good job Rebecca! Oh man-I need to tackle my big pantry and am scared to! Maybe this will inspire me because the outcome looks so great (or maybe not cause there are 100 other things I would rather do!).
Ahh, organization. I always start out so well, but it's maintaining it that's difficult. I'm impressed with your solutions. Maybe it'll inspire me to tackle the stuff I have to move to make room for the baby. ;0)
Mary would be very proud :) and jealous of all the space you have available!
Good job! Doesn't it feel great to get organized.
Ummm...this is so funny Rebecca. You wrote on my blog about the irony of my craft room makeover. Now, I have to laugh at the irony at your reorganization. Literally minutes after talking to you on the phone this a.m. (but before I saw this post), I thought to myself, "how did one junk drawer turn into 5 junk drawers and junk cupboards?" I have cupboards above a desk very similar to yours, complete with filing drawers meant to hold hanging files. As I write this I have a huge pile of miscellanous items (that definitely do not go in said cupboards or drawers) on the floor and cupboard waiting for me to figure out exactly where they belong (probably in the garbage, lol). When I saw this post I just laughed. Great minds think alike! Made me feel a tad bit better knowing someone as organized as you needed some organization, lol. Sad thing is...I have more cupboards and drawers to do in addition to these.
Now who is writing too much in the comments? I'll zip it now. Great post!
Post a Comment