Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day at Cama Beach...

We went up north to Camano Island State Park and camped in little cabins at Cama beach last weekend. We planned the trip with our old friends that go back as far as kindergarten. So it was Kelly and Danny and their little guy Aksel, Sandy and Adam and their baby Addison, Eden and Ben and Leisha, whose husband couldn't make it. I really valued the weekend for having time with Leisha and Eden. I keep in closer contact with Kelly and Sandy, and it was just nice to have the time to catch up more with Leisha and Eden. When we get together in groups, it isn't usually the greatest for one on one conversation, and this was the perfect opportunity for that. We'll do it every year.
The campground won't be revisited by our group. It was stunningly beautiful and the cabins were clean, warm and cozy, but they don't allow fire pits for each individual cabin. Just one fire for the whole camp, and it was too far from our cabin to sit around at night by the fire, and too cold to stay up outside, so we were in bed early and missed out on some of that camping fire time.
That said, is the NW not literally one of the most gorgeous places on this planet? Seriously, we could camp dozens of places within an hour of our home and have this kind of amazing beauty. I love summers in Seattle!
Eden and Ben playing like kids on the swings. Does "kissing cousins" mean anything to anyone but me?

Ruby adores Aksel, and I think the feeling is mutual. She loves to watch after him and give him things that make him happy. I think she might have a gift giving love language.

Everyone but me. This is the little area we sat at in front of our cabins...would have been better with fire in the middle!

Chris, the master dad on the beach with the girls, flying a kite while laying down. Boy do they adore him.

I've turned over a lot of rocks in my time and I've never seen crabs with these markings. We saw several this time. Cool looking, huh?

Aksel

Chris and the girls heading for the part of the beach where there are larger rocks and more crabs. We had fun!

Adam, Sandy and Addison

Aksel, Kelly and Danny

Ruby used shells to hold her little crab finds. Here she has two tiny little hermit crabs.

The men played some mean horseshoes. That must be a ringer he just threw...look at that form!

Aksel, Alice and Ruby enjoying a yogurt treat.

Do you think I like taking pictures of this guy?

I LOVE this pic of Sandy and Kelly with their little ones. I'm still getting used to the idea of my old friends who were once throwing down toe touches and wearing nose plugs at swimming lessons with me...HAVING CHILDREN! Here's proof!
This slide show won't interest most, but as long as any of my camping partners want to save the pics, it will be here!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

looks like fun! I agree the northwest is definately one of the most beautiful places in the world. And I really miss it! Hey, I don't know if you guys are into backpacking at all, but if you are you MUST check out the Sahale Arm trail. It's somewhere up in the direction of Mt Baker, 7 miles one way, and you camp at the base of a glacier. Anyways, it is the most beautiful place I have ever been and likely seen. You could call my parents for more info! Oh, and I love the family shots you took on the beach. Beautiful!

The Merwin Family said...

Looks like fun! We had some friends that went there a few weeks ago and really liked it there. I want to try it sometime! That is a bummer about the firepits though!

just jen said...

you always have such fun adventures, i wish we got out as often as you do.