Monday, September 22, 2008

Letterboxing...

For our Friday fieldtrip last week we went to a local park to do some letterboxing. This is a low-tech, older version of geocaching. It was a lot of fun, there were four letterboxes in the park and the kids did a great job of following the clues to find each of them. It was a little confusing at some points, but we did find them all! I'm so glad that I found (or she found me) this nice girl who arranges all these fieldtrips. She and her friends and their kids do this every Friday and we will definitely be joining them.
Listening to clues

What's inside?

The first letterbox had a butterfly stamp inside.


Alice let me take some pics of her while we were out walking.

Hurrying to the next clue.

The experienced letterboxers!

6 comments:

The Hamm Bunch said...

I am totally jealous! I wish we had something like that here. Maybe I will just start something myself!

Chari said...

Rebecca,
We've been letterboxing for years. In fact, whenever we travel we print up several letterboxing hunts in the different states and instead of a rest stop, we go letterboxing. There is a national website that lists all letterboxes by state. The address is www.letterboxing.org
We love, love, love this activity.

Alicia said...

Wow, these pictures make me really home sick for Washington. It's so beautiful! And that's awesome you found a group like that. That's gotta be so much fun.

Sariah said...

Ditto everything the previous poster alicia just said! Looking at your pictures has made me so home sick! The "woods" of the PNW are just so majestic! WOW! It's like I totally forgot just how awesome they are!

Letterboxing is something I totally need to get into!

Sheri said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun! I just found out Ryan has speech Friday mornings so I don't know if we'd be able to go on any field trips with all of you. I'll have to see what we can do.

Laura said...

The pictures are great. It was so much fun, and I'm glad that we found each other. It is neat hooking up with you on Fridays. :)