I was tagged by my friend Ashely, and I love this tag! Mimi and I were sitting around a couple of weeks ago just swapping song stories about the songs that narrated our lives. I know, sounds nerdy, but she was blogging and I was knitting and American Idol was on in the background, and we were just chatting it up. It got me thinking about music and then I read Ashley's tag. It took me a little time, but here goes...five songs that I love and why...
1. “Our Song” by Taylor Swift (on my playlist below)—when you marry your high school sweetheart, it’s easy to forget that childish, playful romance of your roots. We change and mature, and our relationship turns into a love built upon deep commitment, intense responsibility and unconditional support and love for each other…those things kind of take over the memory of being kids and living for a phone call or celebrating a one month anniversary. So songs like this one make me remember all the silliness of posing for countless dance pictures, slowing down at green lights for red light kisses and passing notes in seminary (yes, we were soooo those kids). I loved "our song", and I still do.
2. "I'll Stand By You" by either The Pretenders or Carrie Underwood (on playlist below). I love this song because of the line that says “even if you’re wrong, I’ll stand by you…” and the line, “nothing you confess, could make me love you less…” okay, there are so many lines to this song that I like. I’ll stop there. I relate to this song because friendship is important to me, and when I say friendship, I mean family relationships too. I’m a passionate friend and rare is the moment when I forget that being a friend is not protecting, judging or reprimanding. I think a lot about the Savior’s invitation to be your brother’s keeper, and I think that when someone is your brother, he or she knows your heart and they know where you stand on things, and to make their hardship about where you stand is to alienate them. I’ve had friends make eternally condemning decisions, and it is so hard not to want to live differently for them, but I try to remember that in order to be someone’s “keeper”, I have to be their “brother” too. In the right spirit and with the right love, you can stand for something for your own life and stand by others as they do their best to do the same thing in their own time and in their own way. Besides, I’m a big dummy and I really love the people (Chris, especially) who stand by me in spite of all my failures and mistakes. Of course, thank goodness for the one person who stands by us all NO MATTER WHAT and to whom nothing we confess can make Him love us less! (I have one friend who will read this and know that this wasn’t always a strength of mine! “Garner”, I know I called you out of the blue after ten years because it was weighing on me, and you passed it off like it was no big deal, but know that it was a huge lesson for me!)
3. “Flies on the Butter” by Wynonna Judd. If you don’t know this song, listen to it. I’ll add it to my blog now. This song speaks to me. I love how illustrative the lyrics are and the nostalgia of it all. I don’t necessarily relate to the specific images, but the feeling and the chorus make me cry. There’s something so magical about childhood and home, and it is one place you can’t ever go back to. People marry into the family, we establish new traditions, new—stronger--bonds with others, and that old dynamic of the original family unit morphs into something else. Its not a bad change, but there is a longing sometimes for the option to revisit that youthful time when it was me, my 4 brothers and mom and dad, doing it up Hamm style. Everyone can relate to this song.
4. “Mystery” by Indigo Girls. College was a time more than any other when I relied on music as an outlet and as an explanation of what I was going through and all the nerdy things that people that age are searching for and needing. I think lots of the music that I relied on then, will always affect me more than any new music I might like because I just don’t need the comfort of a Carpenter’s song or the anger of of an Alanis Morisette song the way I did back then. Anyway, thank goodness for all the music that saw me through the most unknown, and silent struggle of my young adulthood…FIVE YEARS OF NO CHRIS! My undying love for Chris had to be entirely under wraps to anyone who loved me because it was admittedly undeserved and unrequited. Anyway, Chris and I moved in and out of various stages of contact and even friendship during those five years and I was always aware of what he was up to. Most of that time, we were living very different lives, and I really didn’t have much hope that would ever change. That’s why this song was one (of many) that I loved to sing along with. I love the line that poses the question, “if it (love) was ever there and then left, does it mean it was never true?” I think that was a fear I had. That maybe it wasn’t really true. It was! Here's the lyrics. I could have picked other songs, but I had to give a nod to the IG’s because their lyrics are worthy and I still play a dozen of their songs on repeat and never get tired of listening to them. Come to think of it, "Ghost" is maybe a little better...oh well. Speaking of "Ghost" (also now on the playlist below) are those lyrics for real? I love the poetry, "the mississippi's mighty, but it starts in minnesota, at a place that you could walk across, with five steps down. i guess that's how you started, like a pinprick to my heart, at this point you rush right through me and i start to drown..." that is so what it is like when you are married to someone you once sat next to on a seating chart! I love their music!
5. Sorry, I can’t commit to the last song.
I am wholeheartedly a Jewel fan, and I can’t decide on what song to say I like the most. I love all her songs (except for the one song on every album that is a little weird…like “Daddy” and ones like that). I spent two entire years listening to pretty much nothing but Jewel’s Pieces of You soundtrack (remember, Lynz?).
I grew up on the Carpenters, and I love their music. I can remember listening to that tape over and over again on family vacations and I bought the CD to love me through living on my own.
I love the Dixie Chicks. Again, every album, every song (except for the weird instrumentals, too busy for me). I could go on and on. I want more.
As long as I’ve mentioned Jewel, DXC and Indigo Girls, I’ve covered my major bases. Those are the albums that I belt out in my car with my girls. I love singing in the car. Whew!
I tag...Deanne, Sommer, Mimi, Amanda and Heather. Jeff, I'd tag you, but I don't think of you as particularly affected by non-hymn music. If I am reading you wrong (all these 28 years, please, I'd love to read about your music).
3 comments:
This is a difficult tag... I don't know where to start.
The flies on the butter is so stinkin sad. You don't think about your childhood that way until you listen to the song.
I thought for sure Kelly Clarkson would make the cut...solely for Ruby and Alice purposes. It's not every day that a two year old can belt out "since you've been gone."
don't even get me started on the indigo girls...
they were the soundtrack to my high school years...least complicated...
college years....ghost...
marriage...mystery...
but my all time favorite IG song?
hands down, love will come to you.
if you don't know it, you better find it. it was my theme song in high school when i felt like no boy would ever love me.
good times.
You got me right. I really enjoy music, but I never know the artist or title of the song. I just enjoy music when it comes on. When I had the choice between music and sports-talk radio when I was driving 1-2 hrs a day during grad school I chose sports-radio. I do love music, just not totally into it, so thanks for not tagging me. As soon as I saw what the tag was about I was like "oh man, I hope she didn't tag me" and I scrolled down and was happy to see that you knew me well enough not to do that.
Post a Comment