Friday, September 12, 2008

Perception...

Do you ever have someone label you in a way that could not be further off base? So recently my friend Jen commented on my blog about my before and after transformation of a kitchen desk area, and she said, "Made me feel a tad bit better knowing someone as organized as you needed some organization, lol." I have been waiting for a slew of other comments to follow hers setting her straight because I feel like I am the LEAST organized person in the entire world. I roll so easily in chaos, it isn't even funny.

So this is a person who has known me for the past five years. Here's why I think she views me as organized (oh, it sounds so good...i wish it were true)...

1. My husband is a surface clean freak. He's not a deep cleaner (though he has taken to mopping) but at the end of everyday, everything is in the right place and there really isn't any clutter to speak of. So, very few people have had the opportunity to see my house not looking superficially "organized". What they don't know is that if it is out of sight, it is clean for Chris...so if it doesn't' have a place or he doesn't know what that place is, he'll find a place out of sight and that is where it will go. Still, typically, my house looks pretty picked up (I can't say clean, because that would suggest it was dusted, etc.)

2. I am a passionate organizer of people and events or gatherings. Maybe this obsession of mine would lead someone to believe that I am otherwise organized.

The irony here is that JEN IS ORGANIZED! Maybe she's fooled me by being organized in the same areas as I am, but from all appearances, the girl has her junk together.

Jen, I love that you think I am organized, but come on...I go out in public with kids whose faces aren't wiped clean and they have bed head! All our clothes are wrinkled from sitting in a folding pile for too long...and most of the time we have to get dressed in the laundry room because that's where the clothes are, my car is like a journal of everything we've done in the past month...remnant of shopping trips, snacks, meals, mail, you name it floating around my car. I run late, have three Sunday papers on my front porch and three checkbooks going with no idea where even one of them is.

Anyway, that was the shocker of the century that there is any being on the earth that would put me in the organized category, and I love it! Anyone with similar experiences?

5 comments:

just jen said...

do you remember how dirty our piso was in valencia, and how upset it would make me? i used to clean during your nap time and that made me happy.

i feel like i am so disorganized but then i walk into other people houses and i secretly give myself a pat on the back...have you ever had feeling?

Sheri said...

Rebecca - you are so great. This makes me feel better, because my kids also go out with dirty faces and bed head all the time! You have so many other talents that who cares if organization isn't your thing. I will say, that you come across as very organized - and I'm sure you are much more organized than I am!!

Mindy said...

It always suprises me when people categorize me in some way - even if it's complimentary. It's strange to step outside of yourself and get a glimpse of how people percieve you.

Jen said...

Since I am the reason you were "inspired" to create this post it is only fitting that I comment.

1--I would agree with you that sometimes people make a blanket judgment of someone based on one area of their life and assume that it is also true about a person in all areas of their life. But, having said that...I have never seen your home in any condition but clean, clean, clean. :)

2--It's funny that you think I'm organized, lol. Like your Chris, I am a surface clean person too. Don't believe me? I will take picture proof (although I really hate to do that to myself...I will ruin the perception others have of me, lol...). Don't get me wrong, I like to be organized and have some areas of my home that are clean and organized, but if I have to clean up fast...surface clean is most important to me. "Make 'em think I'm clean".

3. My kids have dirty faces and bed head more than you realize. I probably just stay home if we aren't publicly presentable...and everyone already knows that I don't open my front door if I'm not ready for the day and am not expecting you...unless you are Laurie (she's seen me at my VERY worst many times).

4. My car is also a journal of my life, but more like from the past 3 months, not 1. And, my Sunday papers are cluttering my garage (see...I can't leave them exposed on the porch, but have to hide them in my garage which I won't open while others are there unless it is clean).

So, as you can see...we aren't really that different you and I. Love you girl!

Sariah said...

I like your friend Jen's comment. I ditto everything she said as my own! lol. Of course, I have never been to your house "in person" but still. I do try to be more organized though and I do idolize those that are!!