Sunday, November 16, 2008

No love, no logic...

Who has my Love and Logic book, anyway?

So Alice is officially immune to my most relied upon parenting method, Love and Logic. I'm not any stellar example of the technique, but Chris and I wanted to be on the same page when parenting, and I knew he wouldn't really take to reading a whole book on the subject, so at Sommer's suggestion, we attended a class on L&L at a local hospital. Most everything I learned, I appreciated, with few exceptions. A lot of L&L will come most in handy with older children who know how to use logic and reason...I look forward to using it then, but there are some things I picked up that I try to use regularly...

1. Wrong doing by a child should affect them, not you or other innocent, well behaving children. For example, when Alice is throwing a master fit (three times a day), she can definitely choose to spend her time that way, but she can't do so at the expense of the rest of the family, so she needs to remove herself (yeah right) or be removed until she chooses to calm down. This is a good idea. I'm all for letting them choose their emotions and doing so where at least they think I can't hear, but Alice can not be contained. We have had to move time out from the couch in the living room to her room, then to the car seat (strapped, and can't get out) but starting today, because she is too big and strong for me to force her into the seat without coming away in tears, we moved timeout to the backyard. You'd think that at three years of age, and after three years of the same follow-through, she'd get it: quiet down, be nice, and you can come out of timeout. Not Alice. She carries on for at least thirty minutes...even outside! Just when I start to doubt that she's old enough to understand the concept, I read on my friend Lyndsey's blog that her two year old is getting it down, and I realize that Alice is definitely old enough to get it.

2. By offering choices, you can control the options without making them feel powerless. This is how that goes at our house.
Me: Do you want cereal or yogurt for breakfast?
Alice (in the grumpiest, mumbliest voice EVER): Pancakes.
Me: I'm not making pancakes today (sometimes it's a milk and cereal day, right?), would you like yogurt or cereal?
Alice: PANCAKES! (Sounds like a bark but you know the meaning of the sound.)
Me: Uh oh, I hope you can make a choice to talk nicely to mommy so you can have breakfast with Ruby right now.
Alice: @#$^NEKI#$$%#$@#(%J$()L#)#UU$%#$@#@#%$#^%&^%&^*^&%#$@#$!@bark pancakes bark*&.
Me: Alice, please go up to your room until you can quiet down.
Alice: inaudible decrease in decibels, only noticeable by body language.
Me: Alice, do you want to go to your room by yourself or have mommy take you outside for timeout?
Alice: #$#%$%^%^%^%#$#$(*&^&)*(*^%#$%$&&*(*
(This leads me to L&L #3)

3. When a child fails to choose for themselves, you quickly make the choice for them. So, to continue the above scenario...off to the backyard she goes. She can see us, we sit there and eat our breakfast almost in peace, and even though I know she knows the drill, I remind her once or twice over her tirade that she just needs to calm down if she wants to come inside.

4. There is no counting. Counting only tells a child that you will allow the misbehavior to continue for however long you are willing to count. I have NEVER counted, and I'm really glad. Not that I don't employ other stalling tactics! In L&L they tell you that if you have explained to your child your expectation, and they know the consequence, you don't give warnings, because we aren't usually consistent with out warnings, and it can be confusing for a child if you give ten warnings one day and no warnings the next day. It is better for them to know what to expect, so they can behave accordingly.

5. Losing your cool will only make their crying about your temper and not what they did wrong. If a child pushes you to the point of yelling, stomping, spanking or otherwise, you will probably see that they are crying as a result of your tirade, and they have now forgotten to be sad about what they did wrong, and the opportunity for them to learn is gone. This is hard with Alice, but only because I wasn't following through as quickly, so by the time I went to timeout, I was super frustrated. I would even stoop to yelling the choices at her one last time so that she could make a choice that didn't require a thirty minute timeout while physically restrained. One day, after this all happened, I was so mad because I hadn't come up with the car seat option, and she refused to stay in her room (at the time this was worse case location for her timeout). I didn't want to play the fool by standing there holding the door handle while she threw an entirely unnecessary tantrum on the other side. I called Chris at work. "Chris, I am going to spank our child, and I wanted you to know." He could hear the tirade on the other side, and though I don't think he wholeheartedly agreed with my decision, he could hear the threat in my voice and knew not to tell me no. So, I put her on her bed one last time, got down on her level and loudly said (so she could hear me, she was screaming), "Alice, if you open that door one more time, I am going to spank your bum." I closed the door, and it immediately opened as she tried to rush past me, heading for the stairs. So I swatted her bum. I didn't do it hard, it probably didn't hurt...the idea was to use something new to get my way (spanking is not part of L&L). She did cry louder, but didn't choose differently the next time I closed the door. That's when the carseat thing occurred to me. As a side note, don't forget that I have two unexperienced adult men in my house during most of the Alice drama, as she tends to pull this first thing in the morning and they (the missionaries that live here) are here until 10AM having their study time.

Sometimes, I just don't see an end in sight. Someone, I don't remember who, said something when Alice turned three about how that was their hardest year, and I agreed, but cringed because the "terrible twos" were already so hard, and I didn't want to see another year of my sweet, smart, child acting like a problem child. Today, Ruby drew a picture and wrote something at the bottom for me to read. Because she doesn't really follow the left to right rule, and all letters run together, there was no way I could figure out what she wrote. She told me, "Alice is the horrible-est." I'm sure this isn't the best response, but I said, "She's all you've got, go to your room."

Anyone? Help!

12 comments:

Steve, Kristine, Cole, Kade said...

The fact that you just spent that much time writing about this.. shows me that you care... because you care this much... it shows me that you are doing everything the best you know how.. which means... this too will pass - keep up the good work!

just jen said...

what you wrote just helped me...i struggle everyday with both of my boys.

at night i feel bad about threats i have given or things i have done.

but at the end of the day i know that they know i love them. and i am just doing my best. it's not ever easy at my house...but, it is an adventure!

Laura said...

Just knowing you aren't alone in your struggles helps. I've been there sista! Standing outside the bedroom door wondering what to do. A couple of my friends told me they turned the bedroom doorknob around so they can lock their child in the room for timeout. I've contemplated that! You are doing great, and those young men will have more appreciation for their future wives who care for their young children. I guess just remember "this too shall pass." ;)

Carissa said...

There is hope for your dear Alice. My oldest daughter behaved in a very similar way for the first 4 years of her life. No amount of consistency or discipline seemed to be working. We used to have a knock down, scratching, biting, pinching, hitting, screaming, crying,(all by her of course) battle royal to get a dress on her every Sunday. This went on for almost two years. One would think that after a year or so she would get it into her head that she had to wear a dress to church on Sundays and we would do whatever it took to make that happen. Well, it took almost two years of that weekly battle, but I am happy to report that at by age 4 she happily started getting dressed for church every Sunday without any struggle. Some kids take longer for things to click. Just keep being consistent and eventually Alice will get it. She is only 3 (which I know is a lot of years of fighting for you), she'll start to get rules and consequences in the next year or so.

leah said...

sorry... but been there and done that. Just know that it will pass sometime. I remember you sharing some of those ideas you shared on your blog. They are great.... I do love the car seat idea. Man... I wish I would have thought of that!!! Anyhow, Alice reminds me of a certain someone at my house. I found that a "timein" works for this indivual. Usually, a hug to calm themselves. I don't think that happened till later. You're a great Mom ... hang in there!!

Sariah said...

We try to follow love & logic too. It worked like a charm with Gavin, Reese was a little tricky but at 4 she's got it. Now, Caden...I seriously don't know what to do with him! Your post was a nice reassurance however, that others struggle with strong willed (stubborn!) children too. And maybe it is their age mixed with personality. Of course, Caden IS TWO!

Sorry, no help, but just hugs and what everybody else has posted!

Alicia said...

Well I don't really have advice, but I wanted to say that I really admire your efforts and how you're choosing to handle things. I am not looking forward to that lovely stage, but thanks for the L and L ideas. I really like them a lot. And good luck!

Mary H said...

Oh, Rebecca - I feel for you!! If you are looking for different ideas or another approach, I recommend Positive Discipline. I get excited about trying to impliment it for our kids. I wish I was better at it, but I am still working on it. At any rate - Nathan has dramatically improved. Sarah has too (even though now we have new issues to handle) we never have to stress about meal times with her which is a big adjustment. I also really appreciate that when I am actively using the Postivie Discipline approach I feel good about how I am parenting.

Your response to Ruby made me laugh, several times.

Good Luck!!

Leah said...

Maybe this is really twisted, but it feels really good to know that the moms that I look up to, have there own moments when they are at a total loss!

I have no better approach to suggest other than prayer. I remember a couple Christmas' ago being home in Seattle and mortified because Adi was acting insane! She was hitting - and not kids or me... Full out slapping her grammy and dad across the face and throwing crazy tantrums everywhere we went. I was mortified. I could feel (or at least felt like) everyone was judging and commenting and rolling eyes at her behavior. I was heart broken (couldn't she have pulled this at home? Why was she choosing when we were the guests?) Anyhow. One night she was throwing a holy tantrum and I was seriously loosing it. I went into the other room and just hit the floor and started praying... HARD! I felt so clearly the prompting - just hug her. So I went back into her room and did it. It took about 30 minutes for her to stop screaming, kicking, hitting, more screaming and so on. Finally she collapsed in my arms and hugged me back and fell asleep.

Your an awesome mom! Good Luck!

jayne said...

Oh, man, I feel your pain. Only I have Jack instead of Alice. L & L works great with my other kids, but he also always has his own choice. He has gotten better with age (he's almost 5) but I do feel like his behavior dictates too much of how my day goes. Let me know if you figure out a magic potion to rub on him to help him be a little bit easier to raise...

Laurie Farmer Modbe Consultant said...

In all the things I have tried, the one I used the longest and really like is the token method. (I have a book). It is rewarding good behavior...you earn tokens, happy face tokens...which they use to purchase things when they want...they manage it. It worked wonders and it was rewarding good behaviors...really helpful in getting them to do chores also because they will totally do anything to earn the tokens. :)
Tried and tested on 10...One day you will look back at this and miss this...that is what Rick always tells me when I complain about the laundry. :)

Bob and Jane Hamm said...

Wow, have I ever blogged about how much I love this stage of my life... being 55 and a grandfather? Alice is a great little girl who is full of life and love and it seems to me that it may be that a pancake would have been the best thing for her. I hope that does not sound too condescending and I don't mean it that way, but in all of my intolerance and the time that I did spend some time with Ruby and Alice alone, if I gave them what they wanted... it went pretty good. It was the L&L in reverse as they were trying to deal with me and train me. It worked for them, but I was exhausted at the end of the weekend and we didn't have anymore candy in the house. I was not the best parent, but I had the best coach, Mom (Jane). As you know she is the best.

I do remember doing what Leah suggested as well and holding you tight and not letting go. Although I started the holding part in frustration soon the holding became hugging with love and thankfulness and then the love message was there and you children felt it as well and then relaxed.

You, and all of our children, are ever in our prayers daily... many times.