So...He now does the laundry. Really. He has been doing it now for a couple of weeks. I definitely get in there and rotate it around, and fold a load or two, but I would say we are sharing it now and it makes a huge difference! I think I've been running around trying to fulfill his language of having the whole house immaculate, and the other day, Mimi pointed out that Chris is really just a floors guy. I think she's right. He vacuums every day and sweeps and mops often. So since he started doing the laundry, I've decided to focus my efforts on the floors, and I think it's a good arrangement. My language really is "quality time," but I know that the time he takes folding the laundry is time spent on me, so in some weird way, it works. The other day, Mimi was suggesting that my language is gifts because I get such a kick out of gift giving, but really...it is only homemade gifts that I get excited about...hence, gifts that represent quality time. :)
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Love Languages...
I love the book, The five Love Languages. However, I think as time goes by in a marriage, you get past some of the frilly needs and go more for utility. Lately, I decided it was time to update my love language. I decided Laundry would be a great language for Chris to speak. (I'm not trying to sound witchy, he's just always more vocal about getting his language spoken, and I realized I needed to zero in on something he could do to speak mine.) I loathe putting laundry away. I wasn't really serious when I tossed the idea out there, he already is the leader in all household chores and I didn't figure he'd go for it, but then I did say laundry was my language and I am married to a man who strives to make me feel loved.
So...He now does the laundry. Really. He has been doing it now for a couple of weeks. I definitely get in there and rotate it around, and fold a load or two, but I would say we are sharing it now and it makes a huge difference! I think I've been running around trying to fulfill his language of having the whole house immaculate, and the other day, Mimi pointed out that Chris is really just a floors guy. I think she's right. He vacuums every day and sweeps and mops often. So since he started doing the laundry, I've decided to focus my efforts on the floors, and I think it's a good arrangement. My language really is "quality time," but I know that the time he takes folding the laundry is time spent on me, so in some weird way, it works. The other day, Mimi was suggesting that my language is gifts because I get such a kick out of gift giving, but really...it is only homemade gifts that I get excited about...hence, gifts that represent quality time. :)
I know, scary to let your husband do the laundry, right? Not for me. I'm not one of those women who needs it to be a specific way. Just getting it done any old way is fine with me! Thanks Chris.
So...He now does the laundry. Really. He has been doing it now for a couple of weeks. I definitely get in there and rotate it around, and fold a load or two, but I would say we are sharing it now and it makes a huge difference! I think I've been running around trying to fulfill his language of having the whole house immaculate, and the other day, Mimi pointed out that Chris is really just a floors guy. I think she's right. He vacuums every day and sweeps and mops often. So since he started doing the laundry, I've decided to focus my efforts on the floors, and I think it's a good arrangement. My language really is "quality time," but I know that the time he takes folding the laundry is time spent on me, so in some weird way, it works. The other day, Mimi was suggesting that my language is gifts because I get such a kick out of gift giving, but really...it is only homemade gifts that I get excited about...hence, gifts that represent quality time. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I stopped buying Christmas presents a long time ago. Home made is best though can be disappointing to children (Mom fills that void). Counted Cross Stitch, Custom pens, Roll top desks for the kids, Silk screened School bags--that's for me. Cheesy-perhaps. Personal--absolutely.
Rebecca, you are so blessed to have a husband like Chris. He is so awesome.
I LOVE The Five Love Languages book. It is so great! Once you figure out someone else's love language it is much easier to show them love and for them to actually see it as that!
Hmmm... do you think Chris could transfer some of his love this way? Doing laundry definitely says I love you!!
The languages in our house are just the opposite! I hate floors, so Dan does all the vaccuming and mopping for me, and laundry is the one chore I really don't mind at all. For me it provides an excuse to just sit in front of the TV and fold for a while. Glad you've found what works for you, and a husband that's willing to go along with it =).
wow, rebecca. you are a miracle worker in my book. and chris is a wonderful husband!
Can I borrow Chris for the next year or two?? You sure did luck out with him didn't you!
that is so cute that he does that!
i love it.
love languages...i think i started reading that book...what ever happened to it, i wonder?
I need that book! That's awesome you found laundry love!! I need some laundry and iron love in my house. :)
I love that book. Hey, do you think Chris would mind giving Sam a call?..... Haha. Mine is words of affirmation and Sam's is act of service, I love knowing that!
Post a Comment