Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sugar and spice...

Today Ruby said, "Mom, Kiley likes boys."

I said, "Oh, don't you?"

She said, "No, I'm glad I'm a girl."

"You should be, it's fun to be a girl."

"Yeah, because girls have more talents."

It was totally random. I think more than anything she was trying to use a new word she learned..."talents", but in any case, I am constantly campaigning for Ruby to be more in love with herself than she is. I just don't feel like she's super resilient...rather, I feel like she allows lots of exterior factors to affect her own vision of who she is. Hence the constant talks at our house about being pretty in the inside and how Heavenly Father feels about all His children. Lately the only thing I do to combat her when she compares herself to others is, "tell me five things you love about yourself." It is sometimes a real chore to get the five things out of her, but I hope it somehow drives the message home.

4 comments:

Biddle Family said...

Ruby is adorable... plain & simple nothing else compares. ( of course my own daughter!)


and can we get rid of the word verification???? please

just jen said...

you are the best mom for a girl...keep this up, and she will be a very confident girl.

good job.

Rachel said...

You are a great mom. I think she will be very confident as time goes by. I also think she acts way more confident in class (when you are not there). So all the things you are teaching are getting in. And that's the real test....how your kids act when they are not with you.

kaitlin said...

you are such a cute mom!