Friday, February 1, 2008

Service Project

I was called to represent my ward (congregation) on a committee with five other wards to help plan and pull off a stake Relief Society service project. We met several times and decided to tackle several different projects instead of just one. The project went down last weekend, January 26th.

Since I am personally drawn to the needs of foster kids, I talked to my supervisor at Pierce County Alliance regarding any needs we might be able to fulfill with womanpower and little to no funds. She is responsible for the program I volunteer with, Foster Care to College, which aids foster youth ages 14-21 in the process of achieving education after high school (less than 2% go on to post high school education and only about 50% graduate high school...but this is a group of kids that could go anywhere they want for FREE because of all the aid they are eligible for since they don't have parental income to claim on their FAFSA). She said that she could come up with the funding if we wanted to come up with a meaningful, motivational-type gift that this year's high school graduates could be given at a nice ceremony that would be held in the Spring.

I did a quick design, and my friend Mindy generously cut all the vinyl stickers for her cost. Then Chris and I cut all the boards to the right size, and we were ready for the other helping hands.

The service project as a whole was a big success. In just over 4 hours - 61 inspirational plaques were completed for the Foster Care to College program, over 80 fleece blankets were made for the children of women in the Jumpstart program of Tacoma, 3 dozen beautiful cards with flower seeds and messages of hope were created and signed for our sisters in Chehalis (December flood victims), numerous pairs of mittens and 300 fleece toy balls and baby booties were cut and sewn for local and worldwide distribution, 70 people came to donate blood which will save 162 lives, and an amazing 1,639 names were indexed in the Family History Center!
I was too busy with my project to take pictures, but I got a few at the very end. It was a really fun day and as always, service is such a fulfilling experience.

2 comments:

Jeff Hamm said...

Awesome activity with great participation! I'm sure that many people will be blessed by everyone's efforts!

just jen said...

good job, you are making a difference!