Two weird things happened to me lately that make me wonder if someone out there is testing my values or something...
#1--I do my grocery shopping at Safeway.com. Sometimes I get random things that they throw in for me to try. You know, normal stuff like brocslaw or gum. So last week when I was unpacking all the groceries, there was an entire bag full of MENTHOL CIGARETTES! No joke, there were like 20 packs! I was so surprised that they would pop that into my order like it was a normal thing to suggest I try. Honestly! They went into the garbage, and I made it clear to the personal shopper people that that wouldn't be considered an appropriate product to market in that way. What if I was leaving my 14 year old (if I had one) at home to receive the grocieries?! What if I had just quit? Anyone not see it my way? I feel like it's a pretty black and white issue.
#2--I loathe Victoria's Secret. I can't believe I just wrote their business name on my blog. I can't stand their marketing strategies that use oversexed, anorexic women to strut around on prime time television like they are asking for a piece of whoever is watching. I hate their catalog campaign that has been known to be found stashed under the pillows of adolecent young men as free, readily available soft porn. It took my mom a long time and several phone calls to get the catalog to stop being sent to our house when I came home for the summer in college. So...I just got one in the mail WITH MY NAME ON IT! In a matter of two weeks, I've received THREE trashy catalogs. I have no idea what I did to get on their mailing list, but I am determined to be removed. I wouldn't patronize their store plastered with life sized images of women growling half naked if they were paying people to use their product. I'm NOT opposed to lingerie in general, not at all. I am a lingerie snob of sorts and I only shop for that at Nordstrom (probably because I worked there once upon a time), where the quality is great and the advertising is specific, classy and appropriate. I know most women wear their stuff, but FYI: you are paying too much for a product that is inferior and you are probably wearing the wrong size (if we are talking bras).
There, how's that for a soapbox? I could literally fill a blog with just "Rebecca's Soapboxes" but I try really hard not to go there. Anyone with me?
5 comments:
Ha! I really hate VS too! (although I will confess to having a thing or two from there- gifts.) Matt actually got in the mail the other day an invite to subscribe to PLAYBOY!! I was STUNNED. It's actually the third indecent postcard he has received from them over the past few years. He thinks it's because BYU sold his name to some marketing company... could it really be BYU?? In any event, it is absolutely ridiculous. Makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer declares war on the post office for delivering so much junk mail...
I'm with you! It took me a while to get VS to stop sending me catalogs too. It is 100% pornography in my book!
i don't mean to be the devil's advocate, but i LOVE their bras. the body by victoria full coverage bras are amazing. they make me look like i had a breast lift...i'm just saying!
i have tried other bras(like the wacoal ones from nordstroms), but these ones fit my huge chest the best...
so i respectfully DISAGREE!
Crazy! I never get freebies, not even cigarettes! I'm a loyal safeway.com shopper! Where's my smokes? I'm mad, I love gum. I'm going to have a chat with my personal shopper! Not for cigarettes of course.
I got my first freebie today! Coffee! Isn't that hilarious!
Post a Comment