Friday, January 11, 2008

My Alice's Wonderland...

It is funny that we've lived here a year now and with all the plans I have to make the place mine, I have hardly done anything! We did paint Alice's room last month, and that is the extent of the work we've done inside, other than taking down some window treatments and a wallpaper border in the kitchen.

Anyway, Alice is now crawling out of her crib at night and it is time to move her to her big girl bed, so I am getting on with the task of making her bedding and stuff. This fabric is the fabric I chose to make a duvet cover out of. I love how bright and loud it is, just like my Alice.

So...I have this great little book, "All Things Alice" and I am trying to decide what quote I should put all over one of the walls. I want the font to change up some and the quote might be applied kind of nutty, not like in straight lines...that's not wonderland-ey at all...but I can't decide on a quote. I need votes!

Quote 1: In every corner--"She grew, and she grew and she grew. And in a very short time the room was full of Alice: just in the same way as a jar is full of jam! There was Alice all the way up to the ceiling: and Alice in every corner of the room!"

Quote 2 (37): "Your Majesty must excuse her," the Red Queen said to Alice, taking one of the White Queen's hands in her own, and gently stroking it: "she means well, but she can't help saying foolish things as a general rule."

I don't want the quote to sound negative (2).

Quote 3 (47): "How puzzling all these changes are! I'm never sure what I'm going to be, from one minute to another!"

Quote 4 (55): "Consider what a great girl you are. Consider what a long way you've come oday. Consider what o'clock it is. Consider anything, only don't cry!"

Quote 5 (60): "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?" "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said that Cat. "I don't much care where--" said Alice. "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat. "--so long as I get soewhere," Alice added as an explanation. "Oh, you're sure to do that," said that Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

Quote 6 (66): "Dear, dear! How queer everything is today! And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I've changed in the night? Let me think: was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!"

I hesitate on this one (6) because I really do know who I am and who my girls are, and I teach them that they are children of God, and I don't want this to undermine that sacred knowledge.

Quote 7 (141): "There's no use trying," Alice said, "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said that Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I'e believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

I love being a person of faith and believing "impossible" things, so this one is fun for me for that reason.

Quote 8 (323): Wouldn't it be a nice thing to have a curious dream, just like Alice? The best plan is this. First lie down under a tree, and wait till a White Rabbit runs by, with a watch in his hand: then shut your eyes, and pretend to be dear little Alice.

12 comments:

Kendra Leigh said...

I actually really like #1... seems kind of appropriate for a room- and that our kids grow up so fast! I lovelovelove the fabric! Check out this site (http://thelongthread.com/2007/12/27/alice-in-wonderland/) for a cute Alice party- might be some ideas you could incorporate into the room...
Good luck!

Jeff Hamm said...

I vote for 3 or 7. Those are my faves. BTW, thanks for the comment on my blog. I enjoy the format and info as well!

Lyndsey said...

I like 1 or 8....

Sage Pierce said...

SO cute Rebecca! My vote is definitely for #8- love it! Then #1and then #5 would come next. Cute fabric!

Carissa said...

I vote for #1. I love the idea of Alice filling up the room with herself.

just jen said...

i am all for #1, i just like the phrasing...and you could put it all over the room too.

jayne said...

I guess Lyndsey and I are from the same mold---I also like #1 and #8.

Rachel said...

My vote is for #1. My second choice would be #8, but love the idea of #1...very cute. I can't wait to see it when it's done.

Mimi said...

#8 is my fav!! I am excited for her room- you are such a fun room designer! Can you do my house next? .... please?

kaitlin said...

ya i def. like number one just because of the fact that it is going in her room. i liked number eight and seven also but i think the #1 is so perfect for where she will be alot of the times!
cute idea!
ps i will update my blog soon. i am not in a serious relationship. or taking 27 credits. just not doing well at updating my blog! i will hop on it!

Miller family said...

1, 7 and 8 are my faves - such a wonderful room that will be!

Sam said...

I vote for #'s 1, 7, 8 in that order and love them all.