Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ruby's first book...



This was such a fun surprise by Ruby! She did it all on her own. January 2008

Page one: picture of a pig
Page two: the word “pig”
Page three: the word “Mat” (for “uncle Matt”) and a picture of him
Page four: the word cat and a picture of a cat
Page five: A drawing of our family and the word, all sounded out by Ruby, “F-A-M-E-L-Y”. Notice Alice isn’t smiling (accurate) and Chris is bald. Love the hearts above our heads.
Other side of page five (not shown): the word “hat” and a picture of a hat.

I was stunned when she did this. She showed me her progress along the way, and I suggested that she add pictures, so we knew that “Mat” was a person, etc. She liked the idea, so she did so. Then she said she was going to surprise me and write “family”. I figured this would be when she’d ask me to spell it out for her, but she didn’t want help. When she came back with it...I was really surprised that she’d gotten it so close. The “y” really surprised me. I’m not trying to say I think she’s some kind of genius, I know this is normal stuff for her age, but it is still always such a shock to me when I realize how independent kids are at learning. We definitely work on things and we do Hooked on Phonics, and she’d learned all those “-at” words from book one HOP, but it is still a lot of instinctive kind of learning. More than anything, it amazes me how kids initiate learning what they want to know. That has always been the case for Ruby anyway.

No comments: