"We are dedicated ... to teaching the gospel of peace, to the promotion of civility and mutual respect among people everywhere, to bearing witness to the living reality of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the practice of his teachings in our daily lives." -President Hinckley
The full story will tell you more about this amazing leader, humanitarian and disciple, all he did for the Lord and the world during his life of service, but I have a fun personal story to share.
All the youth from my congregation travelled to Salt Lake City to attend the twice-yearly church-wide general conference of the church. This was a really unique conference, as President Howard W. Hunter was the prophet for only one general conference...that same one...October of 1994 before he passed away in March of 1995.
Anyway, we wanted to see a really popular church film and we needed to wait in line. We needed a handful of people to wait, because you could only get 6 tickets per person, so I volunteered to wait with a few others while everyone else went across the street for breakfast at McDonalds. We got the tickets and everyone returned from McDonalds. There was time, so the other ticket waiters and myself left for breakfast. While we were GONE, President Hinckely was spotted walking around the building admiring the beautiful paintings hanging on the wall. One of our leaders approached him and asked him if they could get a picture, and he went to take her camera, as if we were asking him to be our cameral man! He was probably joking, as he had a really good, public sense of humor, but we didn't really know that at the time. So they all gathered and took a picture with him!
I WAS AT MCDONALDS!
I was really bummed when I returned and they all excitedly told me what had happened. I'm sure I'll find the picture somewhere so I can post it, but anyway, it is my own personal story about how I almost met the prophet.
I will miss him, I really loved his humble nature, his knack for people and his contagious energy for doing what is right and serving with full purpose and effort.
1 comment:
What a sweet picture. It was neat to read the personal story. He lived the most incredible life.
(hey I will have bob send the baptism picture to you to see if you can fix it. thanks for trying.)
Post a Comment