Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What to do with my wall of windows?




It's funny, I like the advice I get from my blogging friends (you are all actually real life friends too, I realize), so here's something I've been unsure what to do with for a whole year. I have this wall of windows I have. I am pretty sure usually about what to do with a wall, but I don't know what to do in this house because everywhere I go there are either windows or built-ins. The wall adjacent to the window wall is 100% built-ins and fireplace, and the buil-ins actually go around the corner to meet up with another double french door to the den, and then there is a WALL that is only like four feet long, and it is rounded into the hallway.
Thankfully we have a really private yard, or I would have been forced to throw up some blinds by now. So...I was so tired of not knowing what to do that I decided to just buy some roman shades for all the windows (and doors) and mount them inside the window, so I could hang drapes/curtains (not sure the difference) to flank the sides of the windows. However, I got online and started looking at some of the places where I normally buy that kind of thing and it turns out the big windows measure 58 inches wide, and no one makes roman shades that size!!!!! I have so many sewing projects on my hands and now, I have MORE THINGS THAT I HAVE TO SEW! I could pay $600 for custom roman shades, but that would be if I had the money or the conscience to so so, and I don't.
I already started making the roman shades for the windows by the kitchen table, there are three of them and I have only one made. I was frusterated, so I decided to go up to Alice's room and take measurements for her windows so I could buy her shades and take that project off of my list. Now, she has three windows in her room, and two of them measure only 16 inches!!! Guess what? No shades in that size either!!! In her room, I really have to make the shades because the windows go out like the kitchen, but there's a window seat there, so I can't have curtains falling to the floor. ARGH!
Any ideas? Do I just do curtains in the family room (but what about the doors in there, should I pretend they are windows?

5 comments:

just jen said...

this is just me...but i think blinds for the doors would be good...then you could let light in when you wanted to, and then curtains for the rest of the windows since privacy is not an issue...it's expensive to have a house. did you check with lowes or home depot for roman shades?

The Merwin Family said...

I llve Roman shades, don't have any, but love them when I see them in other people's homes. If you aren't doing those, then curtains probably. I have the thicker faux wood blinds here everywhere becasue they came with the house and I don't mind them at all. I have curtains on y sliding door though. I hate verticle blinds so that wasn't an option here. Everything is so expensive and rediculous! I have a friend who made Roman Shades for her entire house and they are amazing and it ended up being way cheaper than buying them custom made. Best wishes! By the way-I really want to come see your house sometime!!!

Jeff Hamm said...

I think you should put a tint on the windows with some sweet graphics. Really, I have no clue... these kinds of things are totally out of my league. If there's any question about that please refer to the last decorating request that you made regarding Alice's room. I was pretty much by myself in my response.

The Hamm Bunch said...

I like the Jeff idea! J/K! That is a tough one. The idea by jen is a good thought! Sorry I am not a lot of help! Good luck!

Miller family said...

Leave them open. If you don't need to cover the windows, then don't do it. If you must, you could put a few lovely bushes (lilac, hydrangaea, roses - even though I hate them) outside under the windows . . .